Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Village of Pramayama

Wip Village of Pramayama

I've always been exceedingly jealous of the beautiful city and village maps posted on this forum (not to mention the overlands) because I'm exceedingly bad at it. I always struggle with getting the effects to look right and the general scale of these larger maps. This is the first village that I'm reasonably proud of. I submit it to the jury for feedback and criticism. (Made with CC3) I encourage you to be both cruel and kind.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Village of Pramayama - 4mb.jpg 
Views:	6533 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	49467

*A little backstory - I'm going to be updating/adapting this old D&D expert set adventure module ("Master of the Desert Nomads" and "Temple of Death") to 3.5 for my Al-Qadim game. A lot of the story and encounters are going to be changed to fit my needs, but the nuts and bolts will remain. So, I'll be doing a series of maps for the adventure. This is the first. I've loosely based it off the map provided, but changed almost everything about it. This will be the village where the PCs will begin. Its a small village that focuses on fishing, farming, and a little ranching. Its situated in the scrublands bordering the desert environment.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

I really like it. Wouldn't have guessed that it was made in CC3. I admire you for your ability to produce such original and characterful maps using that software. Have some rep!

Thanks! I started learning to map using CC3 back in April (so its actually easier and more intuitive to use it rather than Photoshop.) For some things I think its the best software (i.e. Encounter, Dungeon, and Building mapping) and for others its more of a challenge. I've done a few towns and villages with Photoshop, and its always a trade off between the awesome effects possible with PS and the incredibly annoying way in which you have to place buildings. I'm hoping to get better at using CC3 for these kinds of things.

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That looks the business !! I admire your skill in CC3 (my copy is languishing on my hard drive exiled away from my unskilled hands...) Everything looks right to me. The only thing I might say is that the fish market cold be put right on the docks. (This is just my opinion) most fish sellers stay near the docks/ocean for ease of transport and sales. In any case great job !! (oh and repped)
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Very nice indeed. Like jtougas, I have tried CC3, and I've ran away screaming I suck at it and it's really nice to see someone who does not
    The only nitpick I can think of is the water. The repetition of the tile you used is a bit distracting. I have no idea how to fix that in CC3 tho.
    Rep to you!

thanks guys...i'll likely make Version 2 to fix a couple text errors and make some adjustments from suggestions received here and at the profantasy forum. However, Hurricane Sandy is quickly approaching and I probably won't be able to get to it for a while. (I live in the Dirty Jerz...Stay dry)

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know how you feel. I'm 300 miles away and the wind is blowing 40 mph. Stay safe
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I think this looks great. I do like City Designer maps but I really like those who take it and make craft their own style from them. I also really like the muted palette you have used.

I hope Sandy has been gentle to you. Best wishes on that front.

There are a couple of textual errors:

"ahve" should be "have"
    "savegry" should be "savagery"

Also, "Desert Win" seems an odd name for the inn, so my hunch is that it really should be "Desert Wind", but perhaps it simply has an odd name.

There seems to be rather a lot of interior wall for a simple village, especially as it has no obvious function.

Yeah, the textual errors are driving me nuts(especially the "Desert Wind" tavern). I'll fix that when I can get around to doing a version 2. I'm also going to be adding more buildings in the next version. (The power outage left by Sandy kept me away from mapping for the last week)

Walls: the original module map that I used for inspiration had lots of interior walls separating different homesteads...While I largely abandoned their layout scheme, I tried to keep that element....but I'm increasingly thinking that I will eliminate most of those interior walls. The exception being the walls that surround the communal farm/pasture and the walls which surround the docks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast