Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2012 Lite Challenge: Spool-O-Mapic - Keribai River Hwy

Default October/November 2012 Lite Challenge: Spool-O-Mapic - Keribai River Hwy

Some drivers have the luxury of an enclosed cabin, in which to spread out an atlas or a gas station road map. Not so many travelers in Sam'thuma. Sure, some roads accommodate cars and trucks. Others though, even Principality Highways, are in places restricted to motorcycles and bicycles for width. What's a poor navigator to do? Why, he has no trouble at all, if he has a Jindek's Patent Spool-O-Mapic Route Display clamped to his handlebars! With 965 standard routes across the Kingdom available on convenient bidirectional strip maps, not to mention Auto Association customized splice-sets for easy and convenient roaming, the equipped traveler need never wonder what is around the next bend.

Annotated and up-to-date, these patented navigational aids mark every service depot worthy of your patronage, which chai shops to avoid and which are highly satisfactory, even which of several fuels might be available. Radio frequencies are noted for picking up road hazard or weather info, and the potential for lodging in any roadside hamlet is right there for the lagging long-haul driver or casual tourist.

Here we show a spring-wound model, ideal for the motorcyclist who has no attention to spare for constant spool cranking, as previous years' models may have required. Wind it once at the day's start, and just slap the case one on the right to advance a frame, or on the left to back up. Totally automated, and totally modern.

Available also in mounting styles to suit dashboard emplacement in an automobile or truck - these beauties are not ONLY for the two-wheeler! Virtually every stationers' shop in the Kingdom, as well as selected petrol depots stock both the display units and of course the route strips. Rely on a Jindek today - and for years to come!

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spool-O-MapicSmall.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	49466

[mostly out-of-character]
    Well, sure, it's patented, but not by Marswarhanal Jindek - he just sells them. Sam'thuma doesn't have reciprocal patent registration with every nation on Aurora - the enterprising Mr. Jindek was breaking no LOCAL laws in setting up his now highly-successful firm. Mind you, if your moto has a Spool-O-Mapic display attached upon your entry into Antara, or Norya, it might be confiscated...

[completely out of character]
    I wanted to first set up what kind of map I'm presenting. The actual entry will be a waaaay-tall graphic of a Rout Strip itself, that for Sam'thuma's Keribai River Highway. The KRH happens to be a fully two-lane route permitting cars and trucks, but as the marketing copy reads, it doesn't take a motorcycle to use a Spool-O-Mapic ! In fact the bit I dummied up includes a snippet of already-done map, which is a stand-in for what I'll do fresh for the contest. I had to first get something posted to force myself to get in gear.

So to speak.

this is exceptionally clever.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*Slaps forehead* "Oh for Chr*** Sakes......" I was actually THINKING of entering this challenge untill THIS.... Just kidding this is a damn clever idea and a great back story !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Hey, don't let me get in your way, jtougas! After all, maybe your map spools on the REAL patented device, not the cheap Sam'thuman knockoff ;-). Motorized, or geared to vehicle wheels, or advancing like a Dinotopian scroll (treadmill for triceratops, if you don't remember your James Gurney). Or fairies chained to a capstan...

Ravs, I hate it when somebody invents something I thought of... in this case ninety years earlier. Hmph - at least mine is spring-wound! :-). Thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by jbgibson; 10-29-2012 at 12:15 AM.

This is a great idea. With that backstory, it really needs to be on some kind of in character advertising flyer or something. =P

Hmmmm - I like that, Larb - then I wouldn't feel like I had to do 200 km of map...

I also like this story thanks for sharing...

Wow, that is an awesome idea! Can't wait to see the actual map. Love the in character bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast