Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: May 2008 Entry: Bluffs Encounter

I am using CS3 but the tricks I used should be possible with older versions. The PSD file itself will not explain much but only show the many layers. For a matter of fact, you can probably do most of this stuff in Gimp but I don't know for certain since I don't really use it much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dorpond View Post
    One thing I want to mention here guys is that when I sit down and make object art, I do not add shadows. I too dislike them.

But that is not the case here. This case with the bluffs, I have a completely different scenario - I didn't make this artwork for distribution. I made a map and now I am simply dismantling the map and supplying pieces so that a very similar map can be made in a VT but much larger. The key phase being "very similar map".

If the community is not interested in these shadowed pieces to reproduce a similar but edgeless (and much larger) bluff map, let me know and I will won't bother going through all the work.
    Blimey , let me reiterate but more simply...

I like your shadows.

Stuff like hills & bluffs look better with shadows.

I think you need lighting on them to make them look right.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Blimey
    Heh, I love that word!

I wasn't lashing out or anything. I just wanted to make it clear that I have little options in this case and that if people really didn't want the parts and pieces, to let me know.

More light, huh? I might just try that - maybe play around with the levels a bit and see if I can make the light side brighter. Thanks for the pointer!

Blog Entries

It sounded fierce - but people say that about my posts sometimes when it wasn't meant that way. Blimey is a bit London really and they dont say that much (at least 'round yur cos oim from the west - you do hear a 'gert lush' occasionally tho, and scraged knees, daps, smoothing the cat and then there's pitched snow - obviously - I mean, what else is it supposed to do ??? ).

(Hmmm methinks that even jedi google foo and wiki will have some trouble with them, but heres the best guide I could find.

Back to shadows. I know you have limits because your map has the shadows built into it. I have the same issues on many icons especially city buildings. But what can be done about it - even if you have a separate shadow layer ? It's tough to fix without more shape info.

Fierce? Naw, if you saw me, you would see that nothing I say is fierce.

Actually, as of late, I think my communication skills have been going to the crapper. I think it is lack of sleep because of my 3 month old.

As far as your comment with 3D objects, I couldn't agree more with you.
    Last edited by RobA; 05-22-2008 at 09:20 PM.

The shadows are not really a problem, especially the internal ones. I only mentioned it because the objects would be a bit more versatile without. In any case, objects with shadows are better than not-objects without shadows, so don't be discouraged from posting more!

And a peek at your psd would certainly not be turned down, either!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I got tired of working on my map so I thought I would do something productive like make a quick video of how I made the bluffs. There is no sound in this video since I made it at work quickly. Hopefully you can follow it.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic....er=asc&start=0

Works good for making mountains and such.

One note: I never had any training in Photoshop so I am a hack. There may be better and easier ways to do this but it seems to do OK for me.

Oh, there is also a tutorial I made a while back at this same link. it shows how to used shadowy effects to create stairs and platforms.

Hope you enjoy and happy mapping to you all!
    Last edited by dorpond; 05-23-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing that. Now I want to go use it on something! (Like I don't have enough projects kicking around... LOL)

Glad it is helpful to you - can't see what you come up with!

I was waiting this whole time hoping to find out whether or not the contest was based on pretty maps or usable maps by the masses. Pretty maps to me are the maps that have all kinds of decorations and objects on them whereas usable maps are those that can be used by anyone because the objects are left off the maps.

But, the contest details was never really specified..

So I will just post my plain map and keep my fingers crossed. It was fun and I enjoyed it. I did learn a lot in this process, especially about being able to make decent 75k or less maps. You all did a fantastic job!

This latest version added cracks into the ground to make it feel a lot more aged and dry.

### Winner ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bluffs8.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	3954
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-26-2018 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456