Thread: May 2008 Entry: Bluffs Encounter

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post May 2008 Entry: Bluffs Encounter

I have seen many maps over the period of many years and I came to realize that there were very few bluff style maps. Yeah, I have seen some small encounter areas built by the great community over at Dundjinni.com, but nothing that was roomy enough to give a few sessions of gaming.

So that sparked the idea:
    Make a map that is based in a bluff terrain that is roomy enough to have a couple gaming sessions. This is probably more of a personal challenge more than anything else.

Issues:
    Well I have the 75k issue. The good news is that we all do. This issue will probably effect me more however since more gaming real estate = less quality. For me to pull this off, I am probably going to have to use the smallest pixel-per-cell setting which will make the overall map look less pretty but give me the space I need for the party to plan, approach, and conquer.

Planned Settings:
    Dimensions: 1280x1024
    Pixels per Cell: 25

Mapping Tool: Photoshop CS3

Here is a concept of the bluffs that I whipped up in Photoshop. It is just a concept of the terrain. When I am said and done with this map, I will do all I can to share the PSD file so that you guys can see how I approach map making. Warning -- I am very messy and make lots and lots of layers. My organization skills with layering definately needs improving.

More to come...

(Note: The first image is the concept image, the second image is the contest final - I wanted it on the first page for you all to get to it easily)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bluffs.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	3689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bluffs8.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	3955  
    Last edited by dorpond; 05-27-2008 at 11:57 AM.