Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Mapper Here!

Post Fantasy Mapper Here!

Hiya yall,

I've been doing mapping in Bryce and by hand for years, and am considering entering the realm of newer software better suited for table top gaming (such as CC3).

I'm looking forward to your insights and pleasant surprises!

Welcome to the Guild Azrof! We are happy to have you and hope that we can indeed provide those insights and surprises. Do you have any maps to share so that we can see your style and start offering you any help and perhaps even learn a few things ourselves.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Welcome to the Guild Aszrof! Glad to see another Bryce user! Using Bryce in conjunction with Gimp / photoshop and Fractal Terrains can give you some pretty stunning options!

Welcome! I look forward to some good tips on using Bryce. I have the program, but have not really taken advantage of it.

Welcome Azrof, to the fantasy mapping kingdom. Feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding your software of choice. We have good mappers in every flavour who will be only too willing to help out.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Map Basics About Me

Basically, I work in Bryce to make overland geography, SnagIt! to make Dungeon and City Maps and PSP to cleanup or add effects (I normally use tubes, flares and other plugins).

None of the work I've made over the years has been as high a quality as I "dreamed," and many times I was reluctant to show players my work because...despite putting (occasionally) hours in complex maps, I never felt confident. Even using CC2 did not feel right.

Occasionally I'll use Bryce to make a mini-movie, however without the cities and other landmarks my audience needs to feel the reality of the world....it's less astonishing...and that requires time I just cannot sink into a map that I might use a half a dozen times in a given campaign (depending).

Here are a few examples - Bryce and SnagIt!

The Bryce image took me about 25-30 minutes to get right. The SnagIt! images took me much less time (3-5 minutes per map). For quick maps that players won't see, I swear by it.

Anyhow, that's my artistic background. I'm looking forward to learning Gimp and providing all of you with the fruits of those labors

:Edit: Images thumbnailed. - Ravells
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1.bmp 
Views:	74 
Size:	900.1 KB 
ID:	3710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	3711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a3.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	3712  
    Last edited by ravells; 05-20-2008 at 05:52 AM.

Post Gah

I made that post huge by including those images.

Any tips for posting images in the future dear Sirs and Ma'ams?

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Azrof View Post
    I made that post huge by including those images.

Any tips for posting images in the future dear Sirs and Ma'ams?
    Welcome to the guild Azrof.

You could always use an image hosting site like IMAGE SHACK and use the thumbnail link they provide you when you upload your images.

There are many other ways to accomplish what you are asking. I just posted how I do it.
    Last edited by Doirche; 05-19-2008 at 11:35 PM.

Post Instructions!

When you post a message, just above the text entry area, there are two lines of options. On the top line with the red and blue "remove text formating", the "paperclip" further down that line options is "attachments"

Click "attachments" to upload your image. A thumbnail is automatically created in the thread, with a link to a larger view of your attachment.

Don't use "insert image", unless you have a small dimension image.

GP

Just a suggestion to help you out...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Hi Azrof!

As GP said, it's much appreciated if you use the onboard attachment client as people with lower bandwidth don't have to wait ages for pictures to load to read the thread. I've edited your post and attached your images using the attachment client. Unfortunately the BMP won't show as a thumbnail, although it's still clickable to see the picture (needs to be either a jpeg or a png to show a thumbnail I think).

Do a search on the forums for Bryce, there are some tutorials on it which will let you get more out of the program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast