Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map of the Mines - Isometric map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wip Map of the Mines - Isometric map

Hi cartographers from all over the world!

I joined today to this forum, but for about a month I was using it. Lately, me and my friends played D&D campaign, and had encounter in the mines, so it give me idea to make mines we had going trough. This is my first attempt to make map like this. Before I make outdoor maps of continents, but never dungeons and never isometric map. This work is still in progress so I hope you will give me best advices how to make my final map better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mines.jpg 
Views:	3848 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	49483

P.S. I got to thank the Herwin Wielink for his great work and enthusiasm he give me with his work

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome !! This looks really good. I am no expert in iso maps so I can't really offer any feedback except to say that it looks right to me. Have some rep for a great first post !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I agree that it looks awfully good - certainly better than any of my ISO maps have turned out.

As far as suggestions, there are a couple over/under crossings where it looks like the "over" passage was intentional excavated uphill, straight over the lower passage, and then downhill again. While it's certainly possible that miners (or whoever is doing the excavation) would go to such lengths to avoid an intersection, it does cause me to question why. Given that ISO maps can be highly subjective, it's possible that my brain has just picked the wrong (i.e. not your) interpretation of these crossings - in which case I wouldn't bother making any changes. If you're feeling ambitious and want to change it - I'd recommend trying to keep both passages relatively straight when doing an over/under crossing - or if you have to curve a path, try curving the top passage "down and close" instead of "up and away" - I think it'll make the passage seem more like a legitimate curve than an "up and over" bridge of the lower passage.

Again - I think the map is wonderful as-is - it's just insane rabid perfectionists (like me) who can always find a nit to pick. (None of my maps are ever truly "finished" - I just stop working on them at some point... )

This looks very good, love the way you did the 'see through' parts. And of course I'm glad some of my pieces inspired you for this cheers, dj

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Welcome !! This looks really good. I am no expert in iso maps so I can't really offer any feedback except to say that it looks right to me. Have some rep for a great first post !!
    Thank you for your support

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenEwok View Post
    I agree that it looks awfully good - certainly better than any of my ISO maps have turned out.

As far as suggestions, there are a couple over/under crossings where it looks like the "over" passage was intentional excavated uphill, straight over the lower passage, and then downhill again. While it's certainly possible that miners (or whoever is doing the excavation) would go to such lengths to avoid an intersection, it does cause me to question why. Given that ISO maps can be highly subjective, it's possible that my brain has just picked the wrong (i.e. not your) interpretation of these crossings - in which case I wouldn't bother making any changes. If you're feeling ambitious and want to change it - I'd recommend trying to keep both passages relatively straight when doing an over/under crossing - or if you have to curve a path, try curving the top passage "down and close" instead of "up and away" - I think it'll make the passage seem more like a legitimate curve than an "up and over" bridge of the lower passage.

Again - I think the map is wonderful as-is - it's just insane rabid perfectionists (like me) who can always find a nit to pick. (None of my maps are ever truly "finished" - I just stop working on them at some point... )
    Thank's for your opinions. I try to explain my intentions with over and under crossing, and why I avoid intersections. I imagine that those who dig those passages wanted so much ore to dig in that way so they did it by digging and passing above and below the existing passages. I made ​​it to look that way. I do not know if it's just me, but something I'm not happy with shading, because it seems that it is not enough to show where the passage is, but maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Djekspek View Post
    This looks very good, love the way you did the 'see through' parts. And of course I'm glad some of my pieces inspired you for this cheers, dj
    Hi Herwin, it is honor for me that such artist as you like my work. The most thing I adore in your work is how you do shading, because that is the thing which gives so realistic look to your drawings. I hope I would achieve such skill one day
    The main problem (for now) is that I don't have drawing tablet, so I use a mouse to draw my map, and because of that the work is little harder

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You did that with a mouse? WOW.... Now I'm even more impressed
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    You did that with a mouse? WOW.... Now I'm even more impressed
    Yes, thank you, I didn't know that is impressive, I think I am not the only one Thank you

Well done on your map - it is very very good. I particular like the colours you have chosen. I disagree with DrunkenEwok and think your over/under passages work really well. You have chosen a particularly difficult subject for a 3d-iso map and executed it superbly. I have no suggestions for improvement - I think its excellent just as it is. Good job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast