Thread: My kingdom for your secrets of mapping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My kingdom for your secrets of mapping

Hello,
    My name is Lionel, i'm french, my english very bad (i understand also spanish and italian)
    I registered on this forum because you seem to be the best i ever seen for mapping and i want to become better.
    I'm a wargamer designer and player, i'm rookie with illustrator, rookie for photoshop, this is what i can do :

In fact, i'm better to draw soldiers for my counters than map.
    I'm going to open thread because i have a lot of questions

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Actually, don't sell yourself short

Those maps are quite good. Sure, they could use a bit more contrast, but quite good for a beginner. The Tutorial forum will give you plenty of pointers for improving your technique, and posting WIP (Work In Progress) threads are great ways to get the guidance you want.

Welcome to the Guild, the Mappiest Place on the Web

and have some rep for posting these maps in your intro thread
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Those are really very good. I'm no expert in war or board gaming but they look the part to me. Welcome and have some rep for a very good first post .
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thank-you ! I will try to do my best to be a "good member" but the level of mapping here is very high

I will also try the best!!!

Welcome Usuthu! Korash and JT have already stated, your maps are already quite good, very good for a beginner. If you want to learn new techniques though, the best way to do so is to spend time browsing though, reading, and trying out new tutorials. Then post your WIP maps up and ask for critique. Look forward to seeing more of your work. And have some rep for the good work you've already done!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Welcome Usuthu! Korash and JT have already stated, your maps are already quite good, very good for a beginner. If you want to learn new techniques though, the best way to do so is to spend time browsing though, reading, and trying out new tutorials. Then post your WIP maps up and ask for critique. Look forward to seeing more of your work. And have some rep for the good work you've already done!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank-you ! Could you tell me please what is "rep" ? Reputation ?

Quote Originally Posted by Usuthu View Post
    Thank-you ! Could you tell me please what is "rep" ? Reputation ?
    It's just an abstract representation of one's "reputation" within the Guild. See that little green bar on the top left just under "Guild Applicant" (under your user name)? That bar represents (in pretty crude quantifiable terms), your reputation here. If you hover your pointer above the bar you will see that you now have 33 points. Once you have written a few more posts (I think the minimum is 10 or 15) you will be able to add to the reputation of others. To do so just click the "star" on the bottom left of their post (just to the right of "Blog this Post") and enter in a private message for that user.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Last edited by arsheesh; 10-30-2012 at 07:47 PM.