Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps not a map, but a Request/Opportunity Nonetheless!

Blog Entries

I dont think I am following this. You want the scroll to be lighter but the blackness darker. You want all of the scroll covered with darkness except the lit points and you want the lit bits of the map to be stronger coloured up to but not including garish / neon colours.

So I get the back of the map - thats tan.

The front is all very dark / black except the lit points ? And the lit points should be tan or coloured ?

Are you able to provide a sample of colours representing what you want especially w.r.t the map towns after being lit ?

Edit -- Ahh crossed posts again... so the tan bit for the towns ? Is the tan just on the back then ?
    Last edited by Redrobes; 05-25-2008 at 10:43 AM.

Redrobes - You're not getting it, because, as I read back, I see that I'm not explaining it very well. I'll try again once I'm able to hush a (just started) crying baby.

To do the smudges/inky blackness that covers most of the map I used an improved clouds plugin in from CWeids terragen site, it gives alot more control over the creation of clouds than the PS render clouds. It is linked, under free downloads on the left, at this site http://cwied.com/Terragen/ Then it was just dry media brushes to do staining/scratches on different layers. SeerBlue

Am I understanding this that you want a standard light tan parchment as the base. Over which will be draw a map. Overwich will be stains, burn marks, etc so that only a few small parts of the whole remain visiable. The parts that are burned/stained/etc are so badly messed up as to totally obscure anything below. Over top of all of this is some nice font with your "points of light" text.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Redrobes - Ran out of time today. I'll try to get more clarification tomorrow.

jfrazierjr - That pretty much covers it.

Blog Entries

Right direction ? The shape of the black can change pretty easily.
    If not then I could give Seer my parchment model and he can take it to completion if you like.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 05-25-2008 at 08:33 PM.

I think what he is looking for is more along the lines of a normal parchment style map, but with the "surface" where the map color/symbols are located would be stained as to be unreadable. My first thought when playing with this was to create somewhat of a rough map and then use the burn tool to "erase" portions until I had the "points of light". That seems to be my understanding based on his comments to my last post. By black, I take it to mean obscured from viewing what's underneath as opposed to litterally black.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

What I did was take a map I had together and then added layers of noise and smudges in PS, using overlay for the most part with textile brushes, on the map itself. And then after rendering it on the scroll in indigo I did some touch up, mostly because I did not see the opacity setting in Sketch up is about 75% by default, until after I rendered it, and the scroll itself needed smudging as the sketchup texture was too clean.
    I guess the idea I got was that the map was painted on the scroll, and for some reason I pictured a sneak thief with grubby hands coveting it, so the map itself became marred/scuffed,dirtied more than the surrounding scroll.

So, feasibly, some one with an awesome 3d scroll image, and some one with a spot on map, could use PS/gimp to merge the 2....then it is down to the text font.
    I should have continued drawing crayon maps on brown paper bags when I was a kid,,,,I would be a lot further along now.

SeerBlue

Post If it were me....

If it were me coming up with a logo I'd make sure its printable and not out of gamut. Is this for a print work or a PDF? Are you trying to keep print runs a simple option?

My design would have more of an in your face sort of shbang to help readers see it and remember it. I like the idea of a scroll area but I'd change each publication so something significant was below the logo.

This is what I'd do. The stars are rough and there's lots of tweeking possible but I think this would print well and you could scale it. btw 300 dpi 6" by 5" is pretty large.

Depending on your presentation there are tweaks to do with cleaner outlines, illustrator and modified fonts. The design should compliment your page background images\paper also consider what you'd do if you used the logo in advertising.

The 'parchment area' can be expanded however much you like to hold a central graphic for each publication or a product number.

Thats how I would do it. PM me if you're interested.

Sigurd.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 05-26-2008 at 01:40 AM.

I definitely like Sigurd's idea about being able to change the graphic on the scroll for each edition. Match it to a map covered in the edition, or make a new map and parse out bits of it on the logo with each edition. SeerBlue

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast