Thread: A worldbuilder looking for inspiration...

Guild Novice

Default A worldbuilder looking for inspiration...

Hi! I'm Steve Bowers, an editor at Orion's Arm and I'm an inveterate worldbuilder. Recently I've been working on adding planetary maps to the many worlds described at Orion's Arm, and I've come here for some tips. I really like the fractal coastline tutorial, for instance.

Here are some of the most recent maps I've made, mostly using Planetgen and Gimp, with some input from NASA Blue Marble imagery. The planets are displayed in Celestia when they are finished.

Chorus Map (for more details on this planet see Chorus )

Audubon Map (for more details on this planet see Audubon)

Wurm (for more details on this planet see Wurm)

Grignard (for more details on this planet see Grignard)

Nadia (for more details on this planet see Nadia)

As you can see I've been trying out different styles, and the results are quite diverse. Hopefully here I'll learn some of your methods.

What great maps! I'm sure you'll find lots of inspiration here, and we'd all be happy to help.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome To The Guild. Those are some nice maps (I especially like the Audubon map) Have some rep for a great first post
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Welcome to the Guild eburacum45. There are several great tutorials here that may aid you in your goal of refining your cartographic skills. Your maps are already fairly nice, but if you continue to try out the techniques discussed in various tutorials, I'm sure you will pick up some more handy tips and tricks.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh