Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP: The Golden Elk; Warship.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Default WIP: The Golden Elk; Warship.

Ok, time for another battlemap...

This is the WIP for the Golden Elk, the ship of the pirate I mentioned in the thread concerning my previous map...

The golden Elk is supposed to be a big bireme. It's two masted, but the hull will contain some rowing benches for maneuverability against the wind...

The central portion of the hull is actually deeper, leading to the lower line of rowers... (the stairs are still to be added).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golden Elk Hull.png 
Views:	298 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	49561

The deck harbour quite a few weapons, found (as I needn't precise for the one that have seen any of my previous maps) on the dundjinni forums.

Name:	Golden Elk.png 
Views:	426 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	49562

Anyway, as always, advice and criticisms are welcome.

Thanks!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks pretty good. ( I am actually just beginning a ship of my own for the Calan Stonebridge Series) and I have never done one in this style so I'll be watching. The only thing I have at the moment is that the ship almost looks "flat" the deck rails seem very low this could be by design and if so please ignore my comment.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Nope, it's not by design...

How would you go to fix it? Cast longer shadows?

Blog Entries

longer and darker might do the trick
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Ok, let's try again...

I did increase the size of the railling shadows...

Name:	Golden Elk.png 
Views:	215 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	49578

I did not have much time to work on the hull unfortunately, but here is what it looks like:

Name:	Golden Elk Hull.png 
Views:	270 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	49579

Hopefully, I can get it into working shape for tomorrow's game...

Blog Entries

That looks very good

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    That looks very good
    Thanks.

I still have to add a couple of stuff on top of the forecastle (not shown), and the furniture within the hull. I am trying to keep the ship uncluttered as much as I can...

Blog Entries

Your players a re very lucky that you make these wonderful maps for them. I make all these maps and haven't played a RPG in about 6 years

Finished Maps

Thanks.
    Honestly, I do the map, mostly, because I enjoy it and like to always learn new things. This is a good way, at least an entertaining, way to get more familiar with GIMP.

In fact, in my opinion, the main advantage of pre-made battlemaps is that it save time around the gaming, not having to slow down the action for drawing. In turn, this allows me to use fancier, more complex shapes and not have to worry about drawing them... But, the "prettified" version is not necessary for that, it is truly for my own enjoyment...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simon33600 View Post
    Thanks.
    Honestly, I do the map, mostly, because I enjoy it and like to always learn new things. This is a good way, at least an entertaining, way to get more familiar with GIMP.

In fact, in my opinion, the main advantage of pre-made battlemaps is that it save time around the gaming, not having to slow down the action for drawing. In turn, this allows me to use fancier, more complex shapes and not have to worry about drawing them... But, the "prettified" version is not necessary for that, it is truly for my own enjoyment...
    That is very true. I was thinking about it and shouldn't a ship named "The Golden Elk" have an elk for a figurehead? Either way it's really a great map

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast