Thread: Transitioning between land and snow?

Guild Novice

Question Transitioning between land and snow?

Hi, this is my first post on the site, but I've been using the tutorial forum for a while now. Have to thank RobA for his amazing tutorial on artistic maps, it helps create such a better atmosphere to have an artsy map for my DnD players.

I have a question, which is why i'm posting here.

I'm currently mapping an entire continent in sections because not all of it is necessary and it's easier to do in sections. However a problem with this is that the northern part of the continent is snow and ice, while the southern part is not. In one particular section, there has to be a transition.

How can I seamlessly transition between land and snow? I had some thoughts about possibly using a gradient and a noise/bump map like in RobA's tutorial. But I need the texture to increase as you go northwards on the map because of snows melting rate the further south. I can only get the texture to remain consistent.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    JC

Theoretically, meaning I've never tried it as my style's a bit different... You may be able to use a bump/noise layer with a layer mask to soften/erase the texture where you don't want it. Just a guess, might not work.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Theoretically, meaning I've never tried it as my style's a bit different... You may be able to use a bump/noise layer with a layer mask to soften/erase the texture where you don't want it. Just a guess, might not work.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it out.

Guild Novice

Thankyou so much for your suggestion Chashio, it worked perfectly, with a little fiddling around.

Step by step;

1. I did the dirt layer as normal.
    2. Created a snow mask channel.
    3. Created the texture and bump mapped.
    4. Add the layer mask and then blur the mask.
    5. Repeat step 4 2-3 more times depending on how smooth you want the transition.
    6. Apply a final layer mask of the snow channel to cut the edges off.

Texturing isn't perfect and the map is a little basic for now (it's nowhere near finished, just wanted to show the final product of the snow).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X Far East.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	49633

Thanks again

You're welcome. I'm glad it worked out!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That looks really good
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Late to the game here. I like to use the spread filter gimp has to get a snow edge. This makes the white "taper off" in a clumping manner, rather than fade.

Similarly, you could set your snow layer to the "dissolve " blend mode if you already have a transparency fade...

-RobA>

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    That looks really good
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Late to the game here. I like to use the spread filter gimp has to get a snow edge. This makes the white "taper off" in a clumping manner, rather than fade.

Similarly, you could set your snow layer to the "dissolve " blend mode if you already have a transparency fade...

-RobA>
    ooo ok. Thanks RobA, i'll try that out and post the results here

Looks great!!