Thread: ...And another hello.

Guild Novice

Default ...And another hello.

Hello everybody! (hi dr nick).

I've been lurking around for a while, and have found this site extremely helpful in running my DnD sessions with my group. It got so frustrating having to find maps to put on roll20.net only to find that the grid was out of whack or there was some other problem.

When I stumbled upon this site, GIMP and both RobA and another (sorry I cannot remember the other name)'s tutorials on both dungeon mapping and easy artistic mapping, i spent the next 12-14 hours intensely involved in mapping. Loving it so far and look forward to moving on to bigger and better maps.

If anyone has any tutorials they would advise a scrub like me to attemp (challenging ones that would teach me useful things), I would much appreciate it.

Some of the stuff I've done so far. The two do fit together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elfblood Forest - Miskol.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	49635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calthoras region.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	49636

JC

Welcome to the Guild J.A.C.! You did a nice job following RobA's tutorial. It looks like you might have used an early version of my Photorealsitic Trees technique for the second map. I've made some improvements to that tutorial that might interest you (just check out the link in my sig). There are several other great GIMP tutorials as well, depending on what style you are interested in attempting. Gidde has done a nice GIMP conversion of Ascension's Atlas Style tutorial that might be of interest. Gidde has also done a nice tutorial on a more hand-drawn style map ("for the artistically challenged") as well. You would do well to spend a couple hours just searching through all the various GIMP tutorials since there are allot of gems to be found. I wish you all the best and encourage you to post your work-in-progress maps in the appropriate sub-forums so that people can offer you constructive feedback during the map creation process.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hii J.A.C ,
    Welcome to the forum.