Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Map for a Island

Guild Journeyer

Default Map for a Island

Hi all!

I have this project of mine, a "pulp" island. Spider and scorpion folks, flying sharks, mutant psionic gorillas, brain in jars, fungi people, dinossaurs, etc.

It will be a free pdf, for a D&D like system. The artist will have his name and link credit when the final pdf got released.

i have done a poor sketch of it. I must confess i dont know how to "occupy" it better. i mean, theres a lot of empy spaces

the montain range at left have the aracno people.
    the north forest have the gorilla.
    the right montains have the goblin flying sharks
    the vulcan have the brain in jars

outside the isle, we have 3 minor isles at right: one with mountain, 3 little ones with ice, and ne with forest. the right side have a lonely one, just plain (dont know what to do with it...maybe a dead isle, with dead trees and grass, and some undead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ilha.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	49683

So, anyone up to help?

Hey - cool idea! I've been seeing a lot of "serious" stuff, and it's great to see something this "out there". I like you're ideas - flying sharks are a great idea ^_^ I'd love to help out in any way I can, but a couple questions:
    1) what style are you looking for? Smooth/clean vector? Sepia-tones? Old-style? Hand-drawn? 3D? Maybe post an example map in the style(s) you're interested in.
    2) do you want sketches of the different encounter types shown on the map?
    3) do you have names for this stuff already, or do you mind if I throw a couple on there?
    4) how "serious" is this is? Are you looking to do something in the line of Conan, or more like Terry Pratchett? That can affect the names (the difference between Draggydska and DragonSpike, I guess)

Sounds like this could be really interesting! Oh, you said "D&D-like" - what system are you using? Or are you designing it?

So many questions! But I hope I can help!
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

Guild Journeyer

thanks kestrelgrey! thats great!

im using "Old Dragon", the first old school inspired RPG created here in Brazil. i dont have a style for the map, but i love AD&D style of maps. its suppose to be a lost island, and any DM can fit it in their campaign. i prefer not 3D, but have no restrictions for the rest.

i have only a couple of names:

the isle is called "Harmak" (A Ilha Perdida de Harmal).
    the gorilla forest is called "Gorilur", and the spider/scorpion guys mountain range is called "Harakpaktcha". thats the only name for places i have now, heheh, but would love any help, and the names in the map would be awesome! please contribute as you feel like.

I prefer only this "general" map, and not individual for the diferent types of enconter

any help would be great!

thanks in advance

rafael

(oh, just in case you want to check, im blogging parts of it. the final result would be a pdf, free. a friend is doing some of the art: http://moostache.com.br/gorilur-a-fl...las-de-sangue/
    http://moostache.com.br/harakpaktcha/
    Last edited by rossik; 11-07-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Hey - sorry it took so long to get back to you, it's been crazy busy here. Anyway, I did a quick first pass on the map, and wanted to post it up and get your opinion. Labeled the map, forest, and mountain range already, and put it on a piece of parchment just to see the effect. I can remove that really easily without changing the look of the map at all. If there are any changes you want me to make, new labels, whatever, just let me know. Everything's editable, and I have the PSD file if you want to work with it yourself. Here's the full-size image as a JPEG:

Name:	Island Map [COM].jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	49813

I worked pretty large - the map is about 8"x11", at 300 dpi. I've posted it at full size, but it's a little rough when you zoom in to full size on the screen.

Guild Journeyer

WOW!
    aweomse work!!

Love the scroll effect! its perfect \o

one thing: i mispelled "Harmak" for Harkmal. the correct is "Harmak"
    next to the T or C of HArakpaktcha, theres a river coming out of the moutain. i painted it with a very light blue, so it may had passed unoticed.
    also, the 3 little islad are snow covered

please moderation, mark this as taken

im loving the work, thank you so much!

Thanks! - I'll get that stuff fixed up real soon. Just wanted to say thanks, and to let you know I'll be working on it as soon as I can ^_^ Anything else you think of, just let me know.

Kestrelgrey,

I really like this map. I understand it's rough, but even rough... I like it. Looking forward to seeing the completed map. (may be a super newb question, but how'd you do the water ripples?)

And, Rossik, I love the fun nature of your ideas. Great job.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

@ Geno - I believe you can do that by using the Land Mask to Selection, grow selection a few pixels, stroke selection, and repeat a few times...
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Awesome. Thanks Korash!

Hey,
    here's the corrected/fixed map! Hope it looks alright. Anything else you need, just let me know ^-^

Name:	islandMap_COM_1.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	49967

@GenoWrites: Korash is right, although I just use the magic wand tool in PS to select the area around the terrain, and then use Select > contract (Select > expand, if I select the terrain instead of the water). Then I use Edit > Stroke; for the ocean water ripples, I think I used 3-5 px strokes, but for smaller bodies of water I drop down to 1-2 px. Then I blurred it a little, dropped the opacity, and set it to multiply.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast