Thread: Issamont

Wip Issamont

Just a freehand inked sketch layout of a town that I've been thinking might be incorporated into an overall world setting. Small walled town on river with a cloister overlooking the town from a hillside to the northeast. trying a couple of new techniques to me. comments always welcome to help me improve my mapping skills.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	issamont -02.jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	49724
    Last edited by Vellum; 11-07-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well, I must say that I like what you have going on here.

Brings to mind a monastary for a militaristic order (ala Templar) and a town that grew up to supply it and the pilgrems that traveled the route. I do like the idea of a ferry as river crossing, but seeing as you have a bridge to the southe of the town and the road crossing at that point, wouldn't it make more sense to have placed the bridge where the ferry is? The ferry, while initially usefull to restrict the interuptions of the monks, is very ineffecient for the passage of goods and other traffic. Seeing as how it looks to me that the main road goes from NE to SW and goes AROUND the town before crossing, I would think that the town is missing out on some choise revenue there....another incentive to replace that ferry.....My suggestion would be to switch those two locations....although your plans for the south shore might though all that out the window...

I LOVE that compass too

Have some rep as well
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks great. The only thing I could say is that if the river is used to transport goods (and people) a wall on the river side of the city might not be the best idea. Perhaps a large break in the wall with a dock complex? Either way this is very good. Have some rep.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Korash boy did you hit that on the head, I had a templar type order in mind when I was working on this, though I was wafflin whether the order came first or the local baron with the walled city. I'll have to look back through some of my templar reference to see how the areas they where in actually developed. The area south of the town will be more developed as agriculture, to what extent I'm unsure of atm. The ferry / bridge location wasn't well conceived on my part other than I felt like the narrowness of the river south said bridge and the wider area north favored ferry. I may very well flip them or change into two ferry locations as the southward one would most certainly be for movement of agricultural produce into town. the area south of the cloister will be for training on horseback / horse breeding / pasture to support the order.

Jtougas I'll have to give this some thought, a break in the wall is definetly a breach in security from a military standpoint, something I took into account with a complete encirclement. Thanks for the rep from both of ya

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vellum View Post
    Jtougas I'll have to give this some thought, a break in the wall is definetly a breach in security from a military standpoint, something I took into account with a complete encirclement. Thanks for the rep from both of ya
    That is true. Another option would be to wall in the river at the points where boats would enter. A moveable system of gates or nets could be used to allow access and then be closed if needed. Just some ideas for you as you go forward. Your very welcome for the rep you earned it
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Updated the sketch, deleted the original and replaced with the update.

Love the layout and love the style. I find the rough hand-drawn style to be particularly quaint and am always amazed when maps so esthetically pleasing arise just by such simple techniques. Very well done.

One thing you may want to do is add (equally rough?) colouring, just so that what's what is easier to make out on the map.