Thread: The Golden Elk- Warship.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Default The Golden Elk- Warship.

Investigating the mysterious pirate that preys on Waterdhavian vessels, our heroes find their way to remote Luskan. There, they discover the dwarf Marrowdrinker that has been selling suspicious Waterdhavian goods and con their way onto the crew of his small supply ship.
    Finally, after weeks of travel, they come into view with the large warship. The end of their long hunt is finally coming.

This map is a three-parter, first is the aftcastle:

Then the main deck:

And finally the hull, where the rowers ply their trade:

This time around, I tried to allow for big empty space for the battle to move around fluidly (there will be a lot of pirates waiting for our heroes). I also tried to keep multiple exits to avoid a bottleneck, again, to try to have the battle move around as much a possible...

As usual, this map is build "to scale" and can be printed and used as is.
    As also usual, it makes a generous helping of objects from the dundjinni forums.
    Last edited by Simon33600; 11-07-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome. I love the story and I really like the way you've thought the encounter through. Great Job !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Nice ship Simon.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Awesome. I love the story and I really like the way you've thought the encounter through. Great Job !!

Thanks, as always, for your support.

A few weeks ago I did take my players through one of the first map I had created.
    Most of the tunnels were one square wide, not providing rooms to move around and a couple battles happened there, so both sides of the side queued, waiting for a chance to swing at their enemy... It was quite grueling but, on the plus side, showed me the importance to try to think ahead and give the opportunity for some fluidity...

Looks great, but I am only getting thumbnails. Did you post the full size maps?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Looks great, but I am only getting thumbnails. Did you post the full size maps?

Well, I simply posted links to the pictures from the original WIP thread.... It seemed silly to abuse the website ressources re-posting a second times pictures that are already present in a different thread...

I embedded links to the original pictures in their respective titles, but, if it's not convenient, I can upload a second time... I am not sure what the procedure is actually, I only recently posting maps as "completed"...
    Last edited by Simon33600; 11-07-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simon33600 View Post
    Thanks, as always, for your support.

A few weeks ago I did take my players through one of the first map I had created.
    Most of the tunnels were one square wide, not providing rooms to move around and a couple battles happened there, so both sides of the side queued, waiting for a chance to swing at their enemy... It was quite grueling but, on the plus side, showed me the importance to try to think ahead and give the opportunity for some fluidity...
    When I first starting playing I can't tell you how many 5' wide dungeons and caverns our group found ourselves in. It was always kind of funny because I play a thief so I'm always scurrying about and only ever carried a pair of daggers. The fighters in our group kept clanging their two handers and broad swords off the walls. Sometimes a little cramped space can make for a great encounter.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    When I first starting playing I can't tell you how many 5' wide dungeons and caverns our group found ourselves in. It was always kind of funny because I play a thief so I'm always scurrying about and only ever carried a pair of daggers. The fighters in our group kept clanging their two handers and broad swords off the walls. Sometimes a little cramped space can make for a great encounter.
    That's true too... But I guess it needs to be planned into the encounter. For example; one of these days I will have my players ambushed by smallish creatures while in a narrow corridors. They won't be able to fight as well as usual and the one in front and only the ones in front and back will be able to do much.
    Presumably, the creatures will also attack from the middle, either borrowing out of just phasing through the walls... I will try to build the encounter around a claustrophobic feeling. A bit like the movies alien and aliens...