Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Duergar's forge

Looking really nice.

Now you need to add some nice flame-coloured highlights to the bucket, the door, the barrels of coal, the weaponrack, and the anvils. Make sure only to apply highlights to the edges of each of these features - the edges closest to the forges.

Your existing anvil highlights are the right colour, but a bit small.

The main thing you need to do is to remove your black layer directly over the edges of the objects. Not sure what your set up is, but assuming you have:
    1) the black layer over floor and object on its own layer, and 2) the objects mentioned above on their own layer, then this should work:
    a) add layer mask (white) to black layer (maybe it already has one? If so that's fine).
    b) go to layer with one or more objects and 'alpha to selection' so only the object is selected
    c) go to the black layer layer mask, and using the most fuzzy brush quite big, go around the edge of the object in a black colour. This should remove the blackness around the edge of the object with a very sharp edge to the floor and a fuzzy edge to the inside of the object. Perhaps you will need to use the blur tool a bit - just make sure you still have the 'alpha to selection' selected.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Ok, I did both add some higlights and a dark layer surrounding the objects on the mask...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duergar Forge.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	49792

How does it look?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it's right on. I guess now it depends on how bright you think the embers are. The highlights look great. The whole map really looks good and the result was worth the effort you put in IMO.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    I think it's right on. I guess now it depends on how bright you think the embers are. The highlights look great. The whole map really looks good and the result was worth the effort you put in IMO.

I am not quire sure about the aura surrounding the anvils, to be honest.

But that'd be easily fixable.

I agree - there are not right. They look like an aura rather than a reflection of the flames. Ditto for the weaponrack. The flame highlights should:
    -Be sharp only on the outside, and fuzzy on the inside of the object.
    -Cover c. 20% of the object.
    -Only affect the edges closest to the forges.
    -Be MUCH brighter.

Its hard to explain without the actual file of which to show you - perhaps have a look at ENC 28 Madness at Gardmore (follow link below) and look at the table with the ches-set. Do you see that the top right of it is much lighter and yellower than the bottom left? Ditto the rubble. That was done using the technique I outlined above: 1 dark overlay layer on the bottom left of the object (you skip this part, instead you need to delete the black covering half of the object); 1 white layer set to overlay on the top right 65% opacity; 1 bright orange layer set to 65% opacity on the top right (important! - not exactly the same as the white layer - otherwise you would see edges).

Ok I think I know what has gone wrong - you are drawing your light layers OUTSIDE of the object, which makes it look as if there is a lightsource coming up from underneath. They need to be INSIDE the object only. I think you got my instructions mixed up above - reversed the black/white or something. Or mixed up about Alpha to Selection? This was supposed to select everything EXCEPT the transparent bits.

Blog Entries

Info

This is my interpretation of what I think the light coming off the forge might look like (this is really quick so it's not perfect) just to give you some ideas.

Views:	83 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	49808
    Last edited by jtougas; 11-11-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Updated Image
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post

I agree - there are not right. They look like an aura rather than a reflection of the flames. Ditto for the weaponrack. The flame highlights should:
    -Be sharp only on the outside, and fuzzy on the inside of the object.
    -Cover c. 20% of the object.
    -Only affect the edges closest to the forges.
    -Be MUCH brighter.

Its hard to explain without the actual file of which to show you - perhaps have a look at ENC 28 Madness at Gardmore (follow link below) and look at the table with the ches-set. Do you see that the top right of it is much lighter and yellower than the bottom left? Ditto the rubble. That was done using the technique I outlined above: 1 dark overlay layer on the bottom left of the object (you skip this part, instead you need to delete the black covering half of the object); 1 white layer set to overlay on the top right 65% opacity; 1 bright orange layer set to 65% opacity on the top right (important! - not exactly the same as the white layer - otherwise you would see edges).

Ok I think I know what has gone wrong - you are drawing your light layers OUTSIDE of the object, which makes it look as if there is a lightsource coming up from underneath. They need to be INSIDE the object only. I think you got my instructions mixed up above - reversed the black/white or something. Or mixed up about Alpha to Selection? This was supposed to select everything EXCEPT the transparent bits.

Oh, ok, I struggled all evening before coming back to this thread and looking back at what you wrote... I then followed the link and looked at encounter 28... I see what you are talking about now, and I have a couple of idea as to how to do it...

Ok, here is another version, with the side of the objects opposed to the fire darkened...

Views:	102 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	49830

Blog Entries

Thats it !! looks great. (I'd still make the light more yellowish red but that's just me)

Finished Maps

Ok that's what I meant. You might want to go over it again (jt's idea is a good one) but its really good. The bucket and green thing to the north does not work - is this hanging up above the forge? If so, the top of it would be completely in shadow so you'll want to re-darken this like you had it originally, which would deal with that jarring green-ness. I just compared the very first map you posted up here in post 1 and the latest version, and it has certainly improved greatly. Well done.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast