Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Duergar's forge

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I second Jacktannery's opinion. Keep up the good work and have some rep for all your hard work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

You are right, it should be all in the shadows. I'll fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    This is my interpretation of what I think the light coming off the forge might look like (this is really quick so it's not perfect) just to give you some ideas.

That makes sense. I'll had a wider aura surrounding the furnaces (there is already a small one within the forges themselves, maybe I should also make it redder...).

What I am not sure is: shouldn't this aura be grossly circular? At least, a constant width away from the flames?

I think it should be on its own mask under the furniture and under the shadows they cast, right?

I think it should be on its own mask under the furniture and under the shadows they cast, right?

There are numerous ways of doing it, but the best way is to have 2-3 c. 50% opacity overlay layers of pale reddish-orange or whatever colour you want. For each layer, take a HUGE very fuzzy brush and scribble around your forges - each of the 2-3 layers you scribble a slightly wider area around each forge. Then blur each layer up with the blur tool to avoid hard edges. The piling up like this of three hand-drawn fuzzy overlay layers will create the illusion of hot red light fading from the forge to the outer walls. Then you select you shadows (alphas to selection) and delete that part of each layer, then do the same for the furniture - but then you have to make sure to draw a NEW set of reddish forge-heat reflections over the top of the furniture, just like we discussed above.

The aura of light should be circular if the wall around the forges are circular. If the wall has a lower opening to the front, it might not be circular.

Ok, once more, with feelings...

I shadowed that bucket away and switched the glow colour to an orange rather than a yellow glow; I also copied and extended that glow out on three overlayed layers with a bit of blurring at each steps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duergar Forge.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	49858

What do you think of it? Maybe I should darken the shadows on the bucket a bit more...

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that looks good. I admire your persistence. I'd make that bucket nearly invisible as it's above the only source of light in the room. Also (and I might have missed this in a previous post) Is that weapons shelf taller than the forges? It kind of looks that way and if it is the very top of it should also be in shadow. This is really great and I'm learning stuff right along with you.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Wow, that's a fast response.

Well, looking at it again, I will definitively darken the shadows on the bucket a bit more, but I don't want it to be completely invisible, mostly because I really like the reddish glow on it, especially on the chains...

The tool rack is indeed, in my mind, a bit taller than the forges themselves; albeit not by much, a foot or so higher, so the glow from the forge should still reach its uppermost part, as I see it at least...

I am actually thinking about putting yet another layer of darkness on top of everything in the room; very low opacity, 10 or so percent, just to darken the room back a bit all these light effects are lovely, but it liven the mood a bit too much

This is really good now.

Don't darken the room. It's already really dark, instead fade the cavern walls to black, in the following fashion (for example):
    1) make a new layer. Then fill it with black but only over the grey cavern walls. How you do this depends on your setup - either black everything and delete the floor area, or whatever.
    2) make sure this layer is above your walls layer, You should not be able to see any grey walls.
    3) Take a very big very fuzzy brush and use the blur tool. Now make strokes from the room interior through the black walls to the edge of the canvas. Keep them rough. Your grey wall will show through darkly at the edges of the room and fade to black at the edge of the canvas.
    This will darken the mood hopefully.

I'd also add a gentle layer of low-opacity fuzzy blackness along the eastern side of the floor, under the wall layer.

I disagree with JT and I think the bucket hanging above the forge looks great. Yes, its not technically correct, but it looks nice. The tool rack's fine too.

Indeed, it's dark. The picture looks brighter when I am working on it maximised than when seeing the thumbnail image.... For the fade to black couldn't I achieve this result by dropping a black and white gradient on the darkness's mask?

Almost - It might be tricky to get a gradient to follow the walls only and not the floor, but ultimately the difference is hand-drawn vs machine. Try them both and see which one you like the best. One of the challenges in working on a digital image is to try and retain minor imperfections all the time; if the entire image is symmetrical and perfectly even, the human eye will sense it and it will 'feel' wrong.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast