Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quite some time ago... :) WIP

Wip Quite some time ago... :) WIP

Quite some long time ago I posted on this board a thread about my project regarding a 4th Edition D&D Setting with many many maps. Well, I have begun, but with a new approach...

Take a look for yourself, guys

Hope you like what you see... more will follow as work progresses. Anyone interested in fluff concerning the world, may ask freely

The world is called Tolon, btw... still a working title
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tolon_Map_Complete_WIP.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	3778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tolon_Western_Continent_WIP Kopie.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	495.2 KB 
ID:	3779  

Guild Novice

Nice, clean map. shows what a "continental style" or large scale map would.

I really enjoy looking at the maps like this, ones made by others where the skills and craft shown so well here at CG are used. If anything it makes me realise that I have more to learn, so much more, though when i go to other sites and see other peoples efforts, I realise mine ain't that bad. But I digress, let's return to your map.

Purely from the style of the lettering and the names, it is evocative of Japan. Is it the same size as the land of the rising sun, or is it bigger or smaller, an idea of scale would be useful for the viewer. I'd also like to see more than just the one settlement marked.

Unlike me, you have resisted the urge to over-complicate things or add too much detail. Getting the right balance between not enough and too much information, is difficult, no - it is an art, and something you do better than I have so far.

Keep it up.

Norm

Thanks for the comment!

The continent shown in close-up shall be reminiscent of japan, as I try to partly emulate their culture on this continent (which my players will NOT start upon). As for scale... I don`t have a clue myself right now

The other continent will be more european from a style-PoV.
    Also the details are not finished... I still need to add major towns and woodlands (which I still think about how to do best).

EDIT:
    Anyone got a good idea for the measurements?
    Last edited by MadLetter; 05-22-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Hm, looks good. Quite "comic" in style, but I like it.

Tho' I think I found some severe issues concerning the majority of the prographers favourite pet peeve ;-)
    Two in harmony surpass one in perfection

Very nice style! I like your color choices and the look of your lines.

Based on the disposition of the mountains on your main landmass, I'd expect your big island to be around 150 miles at its widest point--from the marked city to the end of the cape west-southwest.

That would make the large landmass a bit larger than the peninsula containing Burma, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Malaysia.

That may be a bit small for you, though, with your big island having probably just a little bit more land area than the island of Hokkaido in Japan.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Most recent Image
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tolon_Map_Complete_WIP2.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	535.5 KB 
ID:	3881  

Newest Update.

Right now Im working on the mainland northern part, specifically the mountains. Just taking a break after colouring them... details and surrounding hilly terrain comes soon.

NOTE:
    I cannot upload the picture, the forum does not let me. When I upload the JPEG (nearly 3 MB), I get a white-screen in the upload-window. Any suggestions?

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by MadLetter View Post
    Most recent Image
    The map (or the completed portions) looks great, so far.

I have one question: How did you do that beautiful lettering? Is it hand lettered, or done with a font?

Only quibble: there's a lot of dead-space at the bottom of the map. Are you planning on using this? If not, it might be better to cut out the extra empty ocean. EDIT: Nevermind... that empty space comment is based on the "most recent image", which is a zoom. Taking a look back at the full map, it looks like the main continent dips quite far down into that empty space.

Yup the continent fills most of the north-south length, the lower part of the left side will eventually contain some additional information.

Thanks for the compliment btw! Encourages me to get working again

The lettering is made by a font (although I also have a good handwriting ;] ) called AquilineTwo, which fits quite well with the whole image.

I wish I could post a most recent update, but somehow this site does not like me doing this

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by MadLetter View Post

The lettering is made by a font (although I also have a good handwriting ;] ) called AquilineTwo, which fits quite well with the whole image.

I wish I could post a most recent update, but somehow this site does not like me doing this
    Do tell. Where do you obtain AquilineTwo, and at what price?

I'm new here, so I don't know much about whether there's an update limit or what. I'm still learning, too...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast