Thread: Grenwalle

Post Grenwalle

Decided to finish this map with a compass rose and a scale. I toned down the texture and put some "ridges," I guess you would call them, near the mountains. I would have liked to put more detail on this map if I cared enough about it. This map started out as a learning module for me on Elements so it wasn't on the "spend a lot of time on it" list.

Thanks to those who helped and commented in the WIP.

WIP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grenwalle Peninsula.jpg 
Views:	754 
Size:	524.4 KB 
ID:	3783  

I know in the WIP thread you said the coastline was FT.

Was it straight noise generation, or did you tweak it? I'd love to get such a nice coastline using PS or GIMP noise generation...

-Rob A>

Actually no real tweaking, just a reversal from sea to land. I used the same process for Ystraad. To me it gives more realistic coastlines, or at least the same type of coastlines found around Scotland. It gives me some firths!

Rigid multifractual
    Roughness .74
    land size 5.23

let me know if I forgot something
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grenwalle Outline.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	974.6 KB 
ID:	3787  
    Last edited by Bohunk; 05-22-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Nice. I saw the WIP thread (though I didn't comment) and I find the way you combined the highly textured version and the one with the muted colours very nice

Scotland, eh?

I was thinking Greece. Probably because of the orientation and the impression I feel that it's attached to a larger continent in the north.

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    Scotland, eh?

I was thinking Greece. Probably because of the orientation and the impression I feel that it's attached to a larger continent in the north.
    Certainly, however I'm talking of the style of coastline. Although I could not acheive it here, I wanted the style from the west coast of scotland with its many inlets, whereas Greece, although rough, has a somewhat less jagged coastline.

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

*cue fake outraged emotion* oh I see You Cheated. well now Your Maps are not as amazing as I said they were, Hmph *end emotion*

Now there still cool but I would like to see if it was actually possible for someone to "hand do" coastlines like that.
    "The Enemy's Gate Is Down" - Ender Wiggen, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Software Used- ME v16, My Hands 1.0, My Brain

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)