Thread: Kilayang, a first try on pasis tutorials

Guild Novice

Map Kilayang, a first try on pasis tutorials

Hello guys, I'm a newcomer. I've never posted anything before. This is my first try on pasis tutorials on textures and patterns. The map was created as a result of this try (meaning, it was not a map I had previously designed/outlined or any part of a previously designed map). I named it Kilayang, nothing special about it (unfortunately). The name resulted as such to fit the feeling of the conscript (which is not even a conscript, to be perfectly honest... more like con-scribbling...). Any feedback is more than welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kilayang.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	49800  

First of all, welcome to the Guild Sokail. This is a nice first map. I like the texture and color palette you've chosen. The mountains look good as well. The forests could have been improved (in my opinion) by reducing the size of the texture you were working with so that the trees did not appear so large. Also, you can see where the seems of the land texture meet. You might want to go with a different land texture in the future (or at least add and blend in other textures on layers above it). Still, overall a nice first map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Very nice map, thanks for sharing it. My constructive criticism is that there are several places that rivers fork in non standard ways. Not saying it couldn't happen, but not ususally.

Welcome to the Guild!

Guild Novice

Thank you very much for the nice comments.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    First of all, welcome to the Guild Sokail. This is a nice first map. I like the texture and color palette you've chosen. The mountains look good as well. The forests could have been improved (in my opinion) by reducing the size of the texture you were working with so that the trees did not appear so large. Also, you can see where the seems of the land texture meet. You might want to go with a different land texture in the future (or at least add and blend in other textures on layers above it). Still, overall a nice first map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    I thought that about the trees too. This size of texture really gives more of an impression of aerial photo of some kind, than a map, I think... Thank you for noticing. I will of course also put more effort on the whole texture thing in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Very nice map, thanks for sharing it. My constructive criticism is that there are several places that rivers fork in non standard ways. Not saying it couldn't happen, but not ususally.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Heh, I know very little about how rivers flow, really... I see your point, it's indeed unusual for rivers to fork like that. As I am new to the forum and it's difficult for me to search every thread and tutorial on the matter, would you like to recommend me a good place to start?

This is a link to a tutorial on river rules.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ght-place.html

That's really great!!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Guild Novice

Thank you very much for your help, Bogie.

And thank you for your nice comment, amberroberts.