Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A small colony

Wip A small colony

Hello everyone.

This is the first map that I have actually posted. I don't have that much time for maps anymore, but I remembered I had this one sitting around, and I decided to fix it up and post it. The style is heavily influenced by this city but it is meant to be European not Asian.

It is pretty minimal, just a small town and some farms. It is supposed to be a colony, kind of like Jamestown. I decided to make it Danish, since the Danish had wanted to colonize America, but it didn't really work out. The green stuff is tobacco, and the yellow is corn. The river flows bottom to top. There is only one dock, but it is a pretty new colony, so there isn't a lot of exports going on yet. The yellow thatched roofs are supposed to be a little market area.

I wanted a bit more elevation on the sides, but I don't know how well it worked out. Any tips?

It is called New Christiana, after the King of Denmark. The map is attached below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New christiania.png 
Views:	328 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	38155  

nice map mate , gonna use this one for my Campaign if ya dont mind

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

On that forest area on the left I'd put a key/legend in so that everything is explained on the map itself instead of in the post. Nice job, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks really fine. Maybe the dropshadow is a bit too large.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice little town, I'd work a little on the drop shadows as it looks like the houses are floating - try running an extra smaller drop shadow closer to the house so its gets darker where the house is (or play with the settings on the current one) ... and New Christiania.. so, is it funny tobacco then? *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done, my one little nit-pick (already mentioned above), is that the large (and maybe a bit heavy) drop-shadow is giving some of your buildings the 'floaties' (it is a scientific term...really it is ). Not uncommon for someone just getting started.

Looking forward to seeing more.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorhees View Post
    nice map mate , gonna use this one for my Campaign if ya dont mind
    Thanks! Use it how you want.

I will try to fix the shadows and maybe work on a legend if I have time. The shadows will be easy, but the legend might be a while from now. I don't have that much time these days.

Here it is with a bit smaller drop shadows.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New christiania 1-1.png 
Views:	659 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	38209

Looks good, Captain - you do nice work. I have one impertinent question about the layout, not the execution: so, do the east-bankers not like the west bankers? Because with no bridge, the two groups are going to be inherently separated....

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

shadows work much better now
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast