Thread: Castle Corphus

Default Castle Corphus

This is the floorplan/map of a castle in my book. It's the main setting of the first book, and I've yet to put in the labels. I tried to convey the fact that's on the top of a hill, but I'd like to know if that worked. I'd really like some criticism and help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle Corphus thingo map whatsit.png 
Views:	508 
Size:	4.68 MB 
ID:	49850

Welcome to the castle-drawing club Fred - seems everyone's at it these days. Your map is great, nice style, but I don't see a hill. On a closer inspection I spotted your shadowing to the right and bottom right indicating slope, but this is so subtle - and restricted only to one edge - that I doubt most people would notice it.

The main problem is that there is not enough terrain around the castle to show that it is on a hill. Widen the view a little and show more shadowing.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks pretty good. I'd agree with Jacktannery and Bogie about the hill. Also you have some items that seem to be floating due to the drop shadows (most noticably the brown areas to the East) Overall it's great. Keep up the good work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Yes, I only just noticed the drop shadow for the patches of dirt, I put them on the wrong layer (oops). And I'm a bit hesitant about expanding the canvas size to give more hints of the hill, the castle is just in the middle of farmland and there isn't really anything else on the hill, which would leave me with this massive empty space.

Thanks so much for your help, though!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Your welcome. Adding a bit of farmland around the castle might add a bit of "flavor" to the map, also if the hill is integral to the "story" of the map showing it would be important. It is of course up to you and it's a very good effort either way.

*EDIT* HERE is a castle that I just finished that also sits on a hill just to give you some idea of how it may be accomplished.
    Last edited by jtougas; 11-13-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks so much for your help everyone! I've added a lot more to the map and I'd love to know what you think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle Corphus thingo map whatsit ELABORATED.png 
Views:	533 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	50139

I think the key numbers may be a bit large, but I still want them to be clear. Also, I'd like to know if the paper texture is working. Thanks!

It look so good now.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

This looks quite nice Commander Fred.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh