Thread: generating post feedback

Default generating post feedback

What helps a post generate feedback? As a relatively new member here I realize my work is not first rate, that being said we all like to get some type of feedback on whether or not what we attempt to do is moving in the right direction. We all know that everyone will develop a certain style which others may or may not be particularly interested in which impacts where a response is made to the post. My personal issue is software, I'm struggling with PS and other software to get to where I would like to be, time being limited I fell back on a free hand approach to develop concepts, which to be honest are incomplete. I think post feedback is essential to improvement or your work. A pat on the back is nice but this isn't what I'm talking about, more crits on this or that which I may not know about (and there are tons of elements here I'm ignorant about) and should be corrected. Comments LOL

Blog Entries

Generally - putting up some images and asking for specific advice. Also having a title to a thread is useful. From the point of view of other members putting the name of the land is less useful than what it is. I.e. "Scrublands of Morkleish" as a title may not as good as "Hand drawn overland maps of Morkleish" or "Need help with Histogram features of PS". If you use a particular software or app or drawing style and thats what you need info on, then mention it in the title. That goes double if its a specific and unusual app. We have lots of members who look out for specific apps including some, like me, who develop some of the mapping apps. If your looking for hard crits instead of attaboys then mention it cos I would not generally harshly crit any map tho I may point out some things to improve - maybe. If you mention you want crits (harsh or otherwise) in specific areas of the map then make it known and the I could respond in that manner without fear of offense. This forum has a good track record of being nice and genial so its good that members follow that - Cartographers are nice !

Ah very good point on the post title Redrobes. I'm guilty of this on my last post which was “Coastal Harbor”, should have been "hand drawn coastal harbor town concept". I really appreciate the genial nature of the site, but I'm not looking for just attaboys (though they are an incentive to continue ). A good example on my latest post, I drew the buildings as separate entities when in fact I should have been grouping them with a common wall for a more realistic setting. This is also a good example of a deviation from what is historically correct and what may be a better defining graphic. The common wall building block approach (to me) leaves a block mass feel to the neighborhood. The individual building approach leaves some nice negative space street layouts, so it then becomes which one you personally like the style of.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd agree with Redrobes on the "were all pretty genial" issue. I know for me when I first joined the Guild I was terrified to post much considering the level of talent that is on display here. I too was a "pencil & paper" mapper for many years before finding this site. I always ask for feedback and try to accept and apply what is given. I know for me I don't ever give harsh criticism for the simple reason that I don't want to "scare" any one off from mapping. I love this hobby (although for me obsession may be a better term.. ) and I get genuinely excited to see new members join and post their first efforts. I am firmly in the "attaboy and here is some feedback on how you might make that a little bit better" camp. I can appreciate the need for constructive feedback and I always try to answer questions that I can without giving bad information. What I can say now is keep up the good work and keep asking for feedback. We'll be there with it for you.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

For me, it's all about the title. I don't have time to read every thread any more; the forums are generating far too much traffic to keep up. If I see a thread title that sounds interesting or that I think I might have something interesting to say, I'll click on it, and I very often take the time to share my thoughts once I'm there, unless someone else has already covered my viewpoint. I'm most likely to click on something that says "Help with Photoshop" or something similar.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name