Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buried Temple Map ("Master of Desert Nomads Series")

Wip Buried Temple Map ("Master of Desert Nomads Series")

Hey all; I've been working on mapping some really old school desert D&D material to throw in my Al-Qadim campaign. This particular map is from the Desert Nomads series (X4). Its made with CC3.

Overall, I'm not entirely happy with how it turned out. In particular, I had trouble trying to make rooms 4-8 appear underground and couldn't find a set of ruined pillars that I liked (and my attempts to make my own as displayed here were not particularly successful.) In any event...any suggestions on ways to improve are appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buried Temple - 4mb.jpg 
Views:	849 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	49855
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Nice one! ^^
    What softwares are you using? I wish to learn somethings around dungeon making and I liked your style

Thanks...For buildings and dungeons I think Campaign Cartographer is the best (and dare I say easiest to use...although many argue there is a really steep learning curve, there are a variety of video tutorials and the profantasy forum has alot of people on there that are very helpful in learning the program).

btw...my parents are from Porto Alegre...glad to see some many brasilians on this forum.

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it looks really good. I really like the style of these maps. I think you've depicted the underground rooms well. you could try to deepen the shadows on those rooms or conversely add lighting to the areas that are not underground. Your pillars are fine too I knew what they were so I'd say mission accomplished.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

CC3 ;/
    I tried it a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
    dont liked it that much, but i guess its worth the (re)try

Hail the brazilians! ^^

Nice work AC, though I would like to see it in higher resolution / larger size.

Part of the problem with 4-8 not looking underground is that the shadow from 3 extends over and into 4 and all those rooms should not have shadows on the outside of the walls which is supposedly underground. The wall shadows make it look like the walls are above the sand. I think it might also help if the sand were darker on the whole half of the map that is subterranean.

Here is an newer version....still not super pleased with it, but happy enough to move on I suppose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buried Temple_v2 - 4mb.jpg 
Views:	3093 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	50093

Bigger version on my blog - Buried Temple of Ifar (Desert Nomads Series) | Drunken Nerdery

Thanks for the larger version.

It looks great...!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it looks great as well. I do have a couple of feedback items for you. 1. I think I liked it better with the walls for the underground rooms. It's just a thought but they seem a little "regular" and it's kind of hard to discern that they are underground. You could try to deepen the shadows or maybe use an overlay of some sort of texture on a very low opacity to show the "ground" above. 2. are rooms 4 and 7 connected? If not cool but if they are there's no obvious entry. The bottom line with this (or any project) is that YOU like it and are happy with your work. I know I'd be happy if I had made this.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast