Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite fantasy world?

Oh yeah, Tamriel (of the Elder Scrolls series) does have some interesting twists in traditional fantasy. I'm not too fond of the antropomorphic (?) races, though.

Besides fantasy worlds of my own for obvious reasons, I am a big fan of the Aarklash world build for the board game "Ragnarok". It's epic and poetic in the same time, mixing and revisiting numerous myths harmoniously.
    In second, I would say Westeros for its characters and story mainly. The realistic side is of the world is a bit like the Hârn setting to my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I am thinking about trying a campaign in The Dragon Riders of Pern world. Does anyone know if there is a RPG based on Pern? I've read all the books and it is a very richly detailed world with a lot of history.
    As far as I am aware, there is no official Pern RPG. I do recall once seeing a pretty good game made with Fudge, though, and there was a long-running Pern MUSH at one point (and maybe still, some of those old MUDs and MUSHes have turned out to be surprisingly robust). I think I was the only smithcrafter in that entire world. At least during the time I was playing.

I really enjoyed elements of Tad Williams' Osten Ard, although I get a little bored with fantasy societies that merely mimic historical ones. The background on the Norns and Sithi was fascinating, though, and I felt like they were truly alien, and not just long-lived humans with pointy ears. And Williams' Otherland was pretty cool, too, although it's a sci-fi VR world, and not properly fantasy.

Portions of Robin Hobb's setting for the Farseer Trilogy and following novels are really inviting. The Bingtown Traders' culture is well developed: just familiar enough to be comfortable, but more than mysterious enough to be interesting. Other parts of that world feel a bit flat to me. The Mountain Kingdom is just about as interesting as its name.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quite funny because I've just finished the "Stone of Farewell" from Tad Williams.
    As far as I know, sithis & norns have a japanese style, but altered by the 'immortal' point of view somehow. The Qanuc people based on inuits is quite interesting too.

I had forgotten the Farseer Trilogy ! An I agree with you, Robin Hobb is quite good to balance the familiar and the mysterious!

Somewhere between the North Pole and the South Pole

Arda is my favorite fantasy world, without a bloody doubt. I am a Tolkien fanatic and will forever be one.

Halo universe is also one of my favorite universes; primarily because I adore the Halo series, games and books.

I do have to give credit to the Elder Scrolls universe, since it is very cool to have a Middle-Aged theme world with multiple races.

The one universe that will always be with me (besides Halo and Arda) is the Multiverse of the Magic the Gathering books and games. It is primarily a fantasy setting in its truest sense and it does draw on many different sources for its individual planes. After all with Planeswalkers, the story itself is damn good!

World of Greyhawk
    The Lands of Ice and Fire
    Middle Earth
    Prydain - World from LLoyd Alexander
    Narnia

Narnia and Harry Potter School!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Guild Apprentice

My current favourite SF universe is the one developed by Dan Simmons for his Hyperion Cantos. Apparently Warner Bros are planning a film adaption of the first two books - can't wait to see the Tesla Trees in action ...

Guild Novice

No love for the Witcherverse?
    I absolutely love Sopkowski's world. It's small in scope and gritty, but so interesting.

I'm also a big fan of the settings of Wheel of Time (for its magic), Westeros, Avatar the Last Airbender (though I've only watched some of the series), The Black Company, and (of course) Middle Earth.

As you might be able to tell, I'm a little biased in favor of human-centric worlds.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Amber. No Contest.
    Also:
    Graybox FR (but soon after it turned to a messy hodge-podge).
    Thousand and one night - the setting everybody associates it, not any particular written down version of it.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast