Thread: Seeking Feedback and Ideas for Worldbuilding Project

Default Seeking Feedback and Ideas for Worldbuilding Project

Hello fellowmapmakers, I to seek your valuable insights and advice on a worldbuilding project I've been contemplating.
    For fun I was thinking to create a rich and versatile worldbuilding for one of my maps, but I dunno how and for what scope to do for, like for example RPGs setting, comics, novels, video games, or pen and paper RPGs. I'm interested in exploring potential monetization options down the road.

To provide some context, my project idea revolves around developing further on some of my past map world builds, creating may be new detailed maps and flashing out a world lore that can be adapted for different creative purposes. While I have a general vision in mind, I'd love to tap into the collective knowledge of this community to make the project more successful.

What are the key considerations and best practices for creating a detailed and versatile world map that can be adapted for various creative projects? How do you ensure that the world feels immersive and engaging?
    How can I gather interest around my world and map? What strategies can I use to engage with potential collaborators, contributors, or fans who might be interested in using or expanding upon my world?
    While I don't want to turn this into a full-time job, I'd like to explore low-pressure monetization options to support the project's growth. What are some suitable platforms or approaches for monetizing a world and map project without overwhelming myself?
    What legal aspects should I be aware of when sharing my world and map for creative purposes? How do you handle licensing, copyrights, and permissions for different types of creative projects?
    Is turning personal maps into some kind of worldbuilding material even worth or monetizable?
    My main idea was to make for examle a kind of Atlas for a possible rpg background setting , but not sure if and how to do.
    Please feel free to share your thoughts, suggestions, or any resources that have been instrumental in your own worldbuilding and project development endeavors.

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer .

I am not sure I am the best to answer about marketing and legal aspects, but I think one thing that is key would be interest worldbuilding around the maps, which usually means at least some writing. Vorropaiah does a great job o this with Elyden. I am not sure the best way to monetize a setting, but the options I have seen have been ttrpg settings, novels, comics, or other games. They all take a lot of work beyond just the world building aspects, but I think ttrpg settings are probably the most doable unless you have an specific interest in one of the others.

Hi Naima, look, I am no expert and don't know your work well but as concerned in worldbuilding projects I have a few suggestions/insights:

1. Look what works for other people and thy to implement that.
    The channel Ricks Creation for example, have only a few videos made with excellent quality and already has 41.000 subscribers, and they began with a map of his world (https://youtu.be/6P3tNKncAjY?si=F5gZwbT0YvcensPy). He tries to engage people in the creative process, letting his patreons and regular followers to choose what the next video will be. He also has an instagram, his own site, a reddit account, an patreon.
    Other one I like a lot is the Monstergarden, he exploded a while ago making amazing, shorter videos, and bringing content different than anything, he re-imagined dwarfs and monsters in a very creative world. He has a patreon, a discord server and a X account. Also he makes drawing livestreams were he gets donnations and talk to people.

From them I would say, be creative, be organized, engage and listen to followers. Also, maybe you don't need to post so often but to make good content.

2. Also, be clear.
    If you want people to create for your world let them have a reinforcer, like showoff the best fanmade creations, competitions, co-labs, appear in live, Q&As, don't know. But let clear they can create upon your world.

3. In regard of monetization... I agree with Turambar, TTRPG are an easier anwser and have a market. But this also is saturated. Novels and tales have their own groups.
    Last edited by Ink_alpinist; 02-05-2024 at 07:42 AM.

Thanks for answers , how about RPG settings?