Thread: Fantasy Maps for a Sitcom

Default Fantasy Maps for a Sitcom

I'm writing and producing a sitcom web series called Readers and need some fantasy themed maps for it. Here's the general story idea:

"On the verge of making it big, Travis Knight, a workaholic fantasy author refuses to finish the sequel to his debut novel after his all-consuming career drives away the source of his inspiration... his girlfriend. The owner of the Morgan Schay Publishing Company gives him the option of being in breach of contract, or manage the dysfunctional team that reads through the piles of unsolicited query letters and manuscripts known as the slush pile. The misfit band, while individually talented, has difficulty working together, so Travis suggests a daily roleplaying game at lunch to find common ground and earn their respect. This one hour of freedom each day may be the only thing that keeps the group from disintegrating, losing their jobs, and further damaging an already faltering publishing company.”

A crucial scene in each episode will be the lunchtime roleplaying game. Since it's a visual medium, I'm going to need some colorful and visually interesting maps for the table. These could be dungeon maps, regional maps, town/city maps, etc.

Since gamers are a key demographic of the show, part of my plan is to use these maps as backer rewards in the Kickstarter. I wouldn't need all the maps for the Kickstater launch in January/February, but a sample would be needed.

In addition to adding some money to the Kickstarter budget to cover payment for the cartographer, I'm also going to post links to the cartographer's site on our Facebook page, Kickstarter page, and in our members' only website. So, in addition to some cash, the cartographer would benefit from some cross promotion and possible future sales.

As of this post, I have all the actors on board, the script nearly finished, an editor eager to get to work, the location for filming secured, and all the equipment necessary to make it happen. The Kickstarter is really just to pay the cast/crew and purchase some props.

So who am I? I hosted/produced the Flagons and Dragons podcast for two years, and wrote/published a Pathfinder adventure called The Tribute. I'm a gamer too, and this project is very dear to me. I'd like to see it happen, but I'm going to need help.

If there's interest from the talented people on this site, we can discuss this in more detail.

Thanks for reading this far!

-Carl Bussler

PS. I'm going to need some artwork for the faux roleplaying game they'll be playing too, such as a cover for the rulebook and graphics for the cards. I know that's a bit outside the focus of this forum, but I thought I'd add it here as a side note.

Blog Entries

Hi cbussler, If your not too bothered about being too specific about an exact map then you could have a browse through the finished maps and the choice maps and either find some that have public domain use, or CC licensed for commercial use that you can use right off the bat or pick some of the others and get in touch with the artist via private messaging (you will need 5 posts on the site before you may do that bit). Otherwise if you have a specific design that you want implemented then I am sure there will be people willing to do a commission. I am pretty sure people would do a book cover and cards commission to suit as well.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...ps-thumbs.html

http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...humbnails.html

(just might want to check when some of the authors of these maps were last active on the site too. Some of them are quite old now.)
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-14-2012 at 02:09 PM.

That's not a bad idea Redrobes. I'll browse around and see if something suits the project and reach out to them individually. I'm not looking to make money off the maps and the creator would retain all their rights to the work. They would only be used as rewards for this particular project.

Thanks for the input!

-Carl

Blog Entries

I think the finished and choice map indexes are quite out of date so you may want to run through the forum topic of finished maps and choice maps and look at the more recent threads in there as well. I thought the system was updating automatically now but it seems that this is not the case.