Just to clarify, no finished work will come out of this thread. Instead, it'll aid the creation of an overall world map, which I intend to make a thread for later.

A world map already exists, but the poles are pretty messed up. What I did was printscreen pics of both the North and South Pole in Fractal Terrains and then trace modified, non-pinched coastlines over them with GIMP. I then got a little carried away and decided to add glacial fjords like crazy. Now I'm not s sure if it looks realistic anymore.

So first off, I'd like to know if the coastlines look realistic. Should I add more tiny islands at the fjord mouths? Should I remove some fjords? Should I make them smaller?

Secondly, I have no idea how I'm going to apply these changes to my rectangular world map. If anyone could help me out with that, I would appreciate it greatly. (I imagine there might be some orb projection software that would allow you to paste an image on the surface of the orb, which would then automatically mold into any other projection (such as the orthographic rectangular projection). That's probably just wishful thinking, though.)

I attached a pic of each pole's modified version (where dark areas = mountains, and the red dot = the exact pole), as well as a pic of each hemisphere of the planet (which, unfortunately, do not line up exactly with the aforementioned).

North:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pole N.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	49876 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hemisphere N.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	49889

South:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pole S.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	49890 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hemisphere S.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	294.6 KB 
ID:	49892