Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age of Mirrors: My first big map project

Wip Age of Mirrors: My first big map project

I've been developing this world piece by piece since 2003, often redrawing certain areas in notebooks or on graph paper while I was bored in class. I finally managed to get all the elements right and decided (out of the advice of a friend) to import it into Photoshop. I've been working on it since yesterday. Here's what I have so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MirrorsMapsmaller.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	61690
    Last edited by Yali; 02-22-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Nice. I especially like how you've done that title. Although, I'm not a big fan of the paper texture. I feel like all the stains distract my eyes from the actual map. Aside from that, I like what you have so far. Looking forward to see more updates

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Welcome to the guild, Yali! I'm gonna give you some reputation points for posting a map right away

I agree with what Seredemia said. Title is awesome, paper texture is very strong and contrast-rich, making it hard to read the map. But it could work with some color on the land!

Thanks guys! I've been doing maps all my life so this is my first time actually showing my work online. Cool. I think I will add color. I'll have to get the textures right. Right now I'm going to fiddle with the paper contrast/saturation.

Finished version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MirrorsMapReduced.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	61711

High Res
    Last edited by Yali; 02-23-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Guild Applicant

Default Age of Mirrors: My first big map project

That looks amazing! The other was definitely harder to read but both are good. This one looks to be straight out of the encyclopedia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great colors!

You should really put some more work into your labeling.

Trying to make sure that your labels don't overlap with too many terrain features would greatly improve legibility. And you should really really avoid having different labels overlap each other, like they do in the Dorion / Flatlands of Colours area.

Also you could try to find a better way to distinguish between borders and rivers.

And after all that criticism: the overall look of that map is absolutely gorgeous!

Beautiful map so far!! I love how colourful it is *___* I agree with what Freodin says about the labels though. Perhaps add a faint white border around the text or something? Maybe that'll help make them stand out more.

I love the shape of the land and a lot of the names are quite original. I have to agree with other, though. Labels are easier to read on the (well) colored version, but some are still hard to read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast