Thread: Jacob L Place North Carolina - Geography student- GIS

Default Jacob L Place North Carolina - Geography student- GIS

Hello all,

My name is Jacob Place. I am 21 years old and a student at the University of North Carolina in Greensboro. I am currently half way through my junior year focusing on GIS and possibly urban planning or history. I have a passion for history especially when it comes to maps. I have an interest in early US history, and biblical history, and would love interpreting history through maps. I currently work part-time at a local grocery store and cannot wait to start a career in either Cartography, GIS or other related categories. I have a recently started blogging,so if you are interested in learning a little about where I am from, feel free to read my blog at The Geography Place. Also, if you have any tips for me, or how to get my career started now, please let me know. Thank you for your time.

Jacob L Place

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild Jacob. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on the "real world" application or careers of cartography, as all my maps are of places made by the sometimes cruel and often whimsical hands of ancient gods and all powerful magic. I wish you the best in your future.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I feel strangely well-suited to help you, at least with some of your interests. My first degree was in history and archaeology, and my second (which I've just finished) in urban planning. Unfortunately, without knowing what it is that you want to do, it is difficult to give any real advice. If you're not sure what you want to do yet (I remember being like that) I can only suggest trying as many things as possible. And asking people on websites like this, of course.

However, you sound like you're interested in concepts of place, in which case landscape architecture might be better - studying urban planning is basically learning to be a bureaucrat (at least, that's here in Oz; I don't know what America is like). If your interest is the history of place, then history should be fine, but be aware it only really leads to academia.

Welcome to the Guild Jacob, sounds like a potentially interesting project. I hope you decide to post up some WIPs when you begin so that we can see what you are up to.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh