Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand-drawn personal fantasy campaign setting map

Wip W.I.P. for Thyrdain - Hand-drawn fantasy map

So, as my first REAL project in mapping, I decided to create a map that will become the setting for my personal Pathfinder fantasy setting. It won't be too big, but definitely large enough to have everything I want.

I also decided, by a friend's suggestion, that I will try something different this time: a hand-drawn map. The catch is that I'm not exactly a good artist - I'm not even average, actually. So there is a lot of practice involved, and it will hopefully help me improve a lot.

First I started drawing various features, just to try and decide the overall style of the map. This is what I got so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HandDrawnTests.png 
Views:	7516 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	49963

I'm still drawing a lot of trees, mountains, cliffs, dunes, etc. I'm having a difficult time with dense forests, so if anyone has any tips, I would appreciate it!

Also, I started sketching the overall coastline shapes, mountains and forests locations, rivers, etc. Here is the rough first draft:

Name:	HandDrawnTests_Map.png 
Views:	12043 
Size:	559.5 KB 
ID:	49964

Both were drawn by hand and scanned. I'm also planning a lot of other stuff for the setting, but most don't really belong here, so I'll just leave it at that for now.

Well, that's what I have done at this time. Please feel free to criticize (I need it a lot)!

See ya!

EDIT: I'm also going to be updating this project on my blog, so please check it out!
    Last edited by gbsilverio; 11-19-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Nice!

If u using Photoshop and can use montains not like one under other tell me, my montains arent like i want...

Name:	duvida.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	49965
    Wanted one covering the other that is back, maybe a brushe setting i dunno

and man... I am from Brazil too

(Fala ae brow!)

Fala cara!

Anyway, thanks for commenting!

About your problem, I'm not sure I understand what it is. Do you mean you are having problems with overlapping mountains? If so, as I'm just getting started as well, I'm not sure. I'm probably going to use brushes for my mountains when I take my project to Photoshop, but I will likely have to edit some sections by hand to make it as I want. Not sure.

If that's not what you mean, send me a PM in portuguese if you feel you can communicate better that way!

Cheers!

A few more tests on mountains, cliffs, and dunes, a few very badly drawn foothills, and a completely failed attempt at defining a style for rivers and coasts... maybe I should do this on a separate piece of paper, with more space! XD

Name:	HandDrawnTests_2.png 
Views:	5366 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	49966

That's all for now! See ya!

Well for some mountain examples in the style you seem to be doing, you can check out my Challenge Map Win November 2007.

Here's another map with similar mountains, but more Tolkien-ish, from back in October 2008, Slave Traders Map.

Not so much for the mountains, but for one look at coastlines, here's my September 2008 Challenge Win, Archaen Trade League.

I don't think I have any good cliffside coastal drawings. Though you should use that, perhaps consider other types of coastlines as well.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-16-2012 at 02:42 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Awesome, Gamerprinter, those will definitely be useful! Also, thanks for commenting! =)

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by gbsilverio View Post
    A few more tests on mountains, cliffs, and dunes, a few very badly drawn foothills, and a completely failed attempt at defining a style for rivers and coasts... maybe I should do this on a separate piece of paper, with more space! XD

Name:	HandDrawnTests_2.png 
Views:	5366 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	49966

That's all for now! See ya!
    Overlaping, ty, the right term for this!
    Yes u got it, making small groups of montains. Will lower the frequence of the overlay

Ty GP going i am just posting in one of the thread now!

Some more tests:

Name:	HandDrawnTests_3.png 
Views:	2749 
Size:	363.8 KB 
ID:	49976

I think its about time I start to actually work on the map itself. Also, behold what is likely the most awesome Compass Rose you'll ever see, featuring the inverted 'E'!

See ya!
    Last edited by gbsilverio; 11-16-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

I thought if was an f. North West South and Feast!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast