Thread: Hand-drawn personal fantasy campaign setting map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip W.I.P. for Thyrdain - Hand-drawn fantasy map

So, as my first REAL project in mapping, I decided to create a map that will become the setting for my personal Pathfinder fantasy setting. It won't be too big, but definitely large enough to have everything I want.

I also decided, by a friend's suggestion, that I will try something different this time: a hand-drawn map. The catch is that I'm not exactly a good artist - I'm not even average, actually. So there is a lot of practice involved, and it will hopefully help me improve a lot.

First I started drawing various features, just to try and decide the overall style of the map. This is what I got so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HandDrawnTests.png 
Views:	7516 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	49963

I'm still drawing a lot of trees, mountains, cliffs, dunes, etc. I'm having a difficult time with dense forests, so if anyone has any tips, I would appreciate it!

Also, I started sketching the overall coastline shapes, mountains and forests locations, rivers, etc. Here is the rough first draft:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HandDrawnTests_Map.png 
Views:	12043 
Size:	559.5 KB 
ID:	49964

Both were drawn by hand and scanned. I'm also planning a lot of other stuff for the setting, but most don't really belong here, so I'll just leave it at that for now.

Well, that's what I have done at this time. Please feel free to criticize (I need it a lot)!

See ya!

EDIT: I'm also going to be updating this project on my blog, so please check it out!
    Last edited by gbsilverio; 11-19-2012 at 08:37 AM.