Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Town of Southrun: Made with Larb's Town Tutorial

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Looking good JT, nice job adapting Larb's tutorial. I look forward to seeing this completed.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks my friend. Larb made it VERY easy to adapt this to GIMP.

I've been spending quite a bit of time lately reading my old notes about the Kingdom of Shendenflar. Remember this setting is over 25 years in the making and many many things have changed over those years. I discovered that I had only written a little "blurb" originally about Southrun (the town was actually detailed by my GM for our campaign even though it was my setting) One of the things I had written explained how the Caravans stopped in Southrun to either unload their cargo for transport by ferry across the river to Riverhewn or to let their animals rest. I had described a large fenced in area that was used for this purpose. Also I had quickly described some warehouses that were used to hold merchandise before it was shipped across the river. Southrun was a little bigger in the early days of the Kingdom but there was also no Northrun to hold the large sawmill complex that is there now. I decided to revise my map of Southrun to show the warehouses and the animal resting/staging area. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southrun.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	50055
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

This is shaping up really nicely...I'm thinking it might be worth trying to mess with the coastline a bit (rather, the water part of it...to illustrate shallower and deeper parts of the river...i only mention it because you've already started to add dirt to the river edge and messing with the water might look nice.)
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by anomiecoalition View Post
    This is shaping up really nicely...I'm thinking it might be worth trying to mess with the coastline a bit (rather, the water part of it...to illustrate shallower and deeper parts of the river...i only mention it because you've already started to add dirt to the river edge and messing with the water might look nice.)
    Thanks. And thanks for the suggestion. I've applied it and I like the results.

I think I might be "done" with this. Thanks to Larb's great tut (I really can't recommend it enough to anyone that might be thinking about creating a town or village or even large city !!) I now have a very nice map of the Town of Southrun. As you can see I finished the labeling and added my "standard" black border. I really had fun with this and I think this will be the style for all of the town maps in Shendenflar. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southrun.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	50057
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Applicant

Looks great! I've started working with that tutorial myself, doing something simple to get the hang of it and then possibly using it for other things as well. There are so many great resources it's going to take a while to decide which style I like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neolin_Windblade View Post
    Looks great! I've started working with that tutorial myself, doing something simple to get the hang of it and then possibly using it for other things as well. There are so many great resources it's going to take a while to decide which style I like.
    Thanks. I really like this style of map for a village or town and am thinking of trying it for a new version of my capital city (although that is a LOT of little roof lines) Good luck with your experiments.

Finished Maps

Two errors appear in the text: "arrving" for "arriving" and "fo" for "for".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12