Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Niil world's map; WIP

Wip

This is the new amazing version of this map ^^

What do you think of it ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finale.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	8125  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The map itself is quite nice'

I think the rainbow-hued areas around the outside of it detract from it though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not sure what's goin on with the cloudy bits and the jungles look patterned, although I think that's a byproduct of the program itself. The rest of it looks really nice though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Effectively, the area around the outside is not perfect. I'm going to try to improve it.

The clouds represent unknown areas.
    The jungles look patterned ... maybe, but I don't see what I can do. The problem is the high resolution. RobA's tuto is made for 500x500 pixels. This picture is 2000x2000 ....

I know, it happens on every map like this...the terrain has a sort of grid pattern to it because of the program. Not your fault, I know. It's still a nice map.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I know, it happens on every map like this...the terrain has a sort of grid pattern to it because of the program. Not your fault, I know. It's still a nice map.
    Call me blind - I can't see what you are referring to!

@Elvith Gent - I just did the tut at 500x500 to fit the samples on the screen. I have used it up to 2000x2000 (where my machine gets too slow) No technical reason it shouldn't work at your resolution.

-Rob A>

Here's what I call the quasi-grid patterning that the program does. I did not do all of the gridding that I see just some to give ya an idea. Compare to the other jungle on the right. It might just be me seeing the gridding but I see it on a lot of the maps with Gimp texturing. Not sure of it the original texture or something else though. For me, I use the presence of the gridding to determine if a map was Gimped or not. It's no major thing at all, it's just something I've always noticed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patterning.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	8136  

OK, Thanks Ascension. I understand now.

That is an artifact of using the gimp Filter->Render->Clouds->Solid Noise and using the "turbulent" option.

I'm guessing it uses lattice noise, not fbm, and the turbulent option starts to come through as an artifact...

Here is an extreme case... I filled am image with this, then using the same settings with random seeds ran it as difference clouds about six times....

Here is the result:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	noise_turb.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	8138

You can see what happened with the lattice points

I would like to point out to all gimp users that there is a MUCH BETTER noise plugin... Felimage Noise

It has alot more control, and lets you specify the noise type as well as a bunch of other options, like a spherical mapping (great for creating noise based maps for mapping to a sphere).

That is what I now use for making forest bumpmaps...

Here is the noise it creates, set to 3 px using the "puffy" style:

Name:	noise_felimage.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	8139

And a quick example of masking of a forest bumpmap (like in the tutorial, but using this as a noise base rather than the built-in noise):

Name:	noise_felimage_trees.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	374.9 KB 
ID:	8140

@Elvith Gent - Sorry for the threadjack

-Rob A>

Nice, I like the way that those lil puffy things look. I'll have to mess around with the PS reticulation filter as it does something similar.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Hmmm...reticulation filter - didn't know there was one. I'll need to give that a go sometime as well.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast