Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Niil world's map; WIP

Wip Niil world's map; WIP

In the other thread, someones say they like my "cartoon style". So, I want to present to them my world map. It is "cartoon style" again, but I envisage to retouch it, like the region map.
    For fun, I did a glob (animated gif).

So, what do you think of it ?

edit : precision, it is the known world ; the poles not appear because they aren't discovered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planisphere.jpg 
Views:	1226 
Size:	728.2 KB 
ID:	3867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	globe.gif 
Views:	15504 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	3868  
    Last edited by Elvith Gent; 05-25-2008 at 04:24 AM.

Those are quite nice. What programs do you use to draw your maps? Are those in GIMP? Do you care to share your techniques?

Thanks.

I start with a precise sketch drawn on paper. I scan it. Then, I take a black 1 px solid pencil and I trace the contours. I put Luminosity at minimum and Contrast to maximum to have a white image with black contours.
    Then, I paint. I play with gradients and GIMP tools. This part is not very defined. Maybe I will do a palette if you want.
    For world map's mountains, I use a friend's technique. On a new transparent layer, I select the colour of background and trace ^ where I want a mountain. Then, I do a drop shadow on this forms. Finally, ^ are almost invisible.

Not very complicated, isn't it ? ^^

Guild Journeyer

Praise

I like your sense of color and shape. Your rivers don't seem to match your mountains all the time however, especially in the upper left continent.

Consider more mountains and of different sizes. Be careful of mixing styles.

Just my 2 cents.

Guild Journeyer

Post Suggested PDF: A Magical Society: Ecology and Culture

Consider this pdf - it is a fast read with many insights into believeable continents without bogging down in too many technical details.

A Magical Society: Ecology and Culture
    Last edited by RobA; 05-27-2008 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by meleeguy View Post
    I like your sense of color and shape.
    Thanks
    Your rivers don't seem to match your mountains all the time however, especially in the upper left continent.
    Ok.
    Consider more mountains and of different sizes. Be careful of mixing styles.
    Ok.
    Thanks for help

Looks like we have a river violation... I'll warn you before RobA, our river cop, finds this.

Rivers don't split as they head to sea level. They are actually the reverse of what you have. They start off as many smaller streams and converge into a singe river as it goes down to sea level. We have a virtual ton, get it - virtual, of information on rivers and how they should look on the site. Just use search at the top and you'll find them.

If you are trying to represent river deltas, at this magnification you actually wouldn't really see them unless they were the size of the amazon or something and even then they wouldn't be detailed. They would look more like a fan of color caused by silting.

Hope that helps.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Ok, thanks ! I am going to try to corrige.

Is it better ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planisphere.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	704.5 KB 
ID:	3897  
    Last edited by Elvith Gent; 05-25-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Consider this pdf - it is a fast read with many insights into believeable continents without bogging down in too many technical details.

A Magical Society: Ecology and Culture
    Here's a free sample chapter, which covers world map creation:

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=XRPFREE2
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thanks for the link.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast