Thread: A Cartographer's Dream Land

Guild Novice

Post A Cartographer's Dream Land

Greetings and salutations!

My name is Aaron and I am ecstatic that I have stumbled upon grand community. I've been lurking for 3 days now and decided it was time to introduce myself. I've held an interest in cartography since my youth, mainly beggining with treasure maps and nautical maps in my elementary school days. I was really into pirates and explorers. It was during middle school that I began to develop a passion with the creation of my own maps. It was during this time that I was introduced to DnD (2nd edition) and various MUD's. I'll admit I don't have any of these early creations anymore, as about 18 years or so has passed. However as I have aged so has my passion for cartography grown.

My interests lies primarily in older maps and styles from the real world and original creations. World building has been a hobby of mine for sometime, so I have great respect for those who attempt to craft their own worlds. I particullarly enjoy hand drawn maps with elegant artistic aspects and that aged parchment look.

I come to accept that my only artistic skills lie in cartography and designs/symbols... or at least I believe it does. However I am looking to improve my skills in this. I've begun looking though the tutorials and can see there is a great wealth of information and experience to draw upon.

I will be getting a new computer soon and hopefully my old scanner will be compatible... if so I hope to be posting some of my collection of original maps in the next few weeks.

I love all the great work I've seen so far!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild. I look forward to seeing your work.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Hello I'm new also, perhaps we can be study buddies in the near future

I started pretty much on the same path as you did; albeit my early maps were a lot more general of empires and such, did do a few treasure maps of my local wilderness. Hope to see you around.

Welcome to the Guild Aaron! Allot of us here have had a similar set of experiences: we fell in love with fantasy (and/or real world historical maps) at an early age and were elated when we stumbled upon a community that shared our interests. Sounds like you have come to the right place. Look forward to seeing your work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome and post em up!!

Welcome to the cartographersguild.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map