Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 'Heart of Shadow' cavern encounter map

I am very happy with this last version. If you are happy with it as well, I think we should use it as the final version. Thank you for all the hard work.

Ok - we'll call it done. Thanks for the kind words.

Wicked stuff bro!! Love it!!

Jack - Any chance you could do a brief explanation of the process you use to make those cliff type edges in the map? I have been trying to do something very similar and have not found a good method yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm1333 View Post
    Jack - Any chance you could do a brief explanation of the process you use to make those cliff type edges in the map? I have been trying to do something very similar and have not found a good method yet.
    It's not that hard with the right tools and more importantly, WORKFLOW(ie, how you use the tool). For example, in gimp(and there are several ways you COULD do it, but this is the way I prefer):

Create a new transparent layer
    Make a selection (free select, oval, or square depending upon location on the map, etc)
    Stroke selection
    hit delete(it removes the stroke from INSIDE the selection)
    Add a layer mask of the selection making sure to invert)
    Undo selection(ie, Select->None)
    Filter->Blur->Gaussian Blur

The blur and the initial stroke sizes are the things you will have to play with the most to get the right effect for the size and resolution of the map you are making. Once you have something you like, create new layers and repeat the process. Once you have all your steps created, manually clean up the extra bits you don't want, either by directly erasing from the layer or by increasing the layer mask so that it blocks out part that are "not step or the step shadow".

Attached is a simple 4 layer example in GIMP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example image.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	334.2 KB 
ID:	91493

Changing the size of the stroke and blur radius will determine the illusion of height variation. The higher the stroke and smaller the blur, the higher the elevation change appears IN GENERAL.

IIRC, for the above image, i used 10 px stroke and perhaps 30 blur(don't remember and played with the image more after my screenshot.)
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 01-19-2017 at 09:01 AM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345