Thread: Roll20 and VTT map files

Question Roll20 and VTT map files

I'm just getting started in the world of map making and wanted to open with a bit of a technical question. I currently run a campaign in roll20 and love the system for so many reasons. My next step is to actually create my own campaign module for my players based off some ideas I've been developing, which has led me to the this lovely place! With that in mind, I created a bit of test map to get a feel for designing a map in PS and help remind myself how to use masking and all those lovely features.

Some background for my question- once I created my bare bones test map and exported, my file size was a surprising 4mb. Not particularly large all things considered and not threatening to my storage cap as a one off, but as I expand my library and assets this will start to take up space quickly, and that map was at a reduced quality. The primary cause is because I'm using larger image sizes, 4000 x 4000, which brings me to my question.

As I am only using/familiar with PS, my image is not vector. Admitting the devil is in the details, if I were to create a relatively similar image in vector, should I assume that the file size would be the same size because I would still export at 4000 x 4000 or would I be able to export a smaller file size but simply expand it within the roll20 page?

Any expertise/experience with this would be fantastic!

Thank you!
    Q

Sorry but I don't know much about vector images. What I do know about Roll20 is that the grid it uses is 70 pixels by 70 pixels for a 5 ft square. So while I normally make my maps at at least 100 dpi, if I am going to use them on Roll20 I reduce the image size to 70 pixels and that makes the file size smaller.

To my knowledge you use vector graphic so you can easily manipulate size without loosing any quallity. It doesn't matter how big or small your vector image will be becaue later you can enlarge it to any size and it will preserve the quality, (raster will loose quality if you enralge it, so instead you have to draw new bigger one).

So if you use say Adobe Illustrator, you can draw with vectors your map in any size, then enlarge it to the size you want (without loosing quality of the image). When you get the desired size, you export it and upload to roll20. I am not sure about roll20, but i guess if you enlarge image in roll20 above 100% image size it will loose quality.

Someone correct me if i am wrong. I haven't been working with vectors so much.

While I certainly do use vector only (with bitmap texture fills), Roll20 only allows JPG files at 70 dpi for maps and JPG is not vector. So even if you create your maps with vector like myself, you cannot upload a vector file to Roll20, so your argument has no legs. You have to export your vector files to JPG format, thus converting it to bitmap format. I've been creating vector graphics files (not just maps) since 1989, I know what I'm talking about. And for those that know me here, I am a professional map illustrator for many tabletop publishers (as well as being a small game publisher myself), and have been for nearly 9 years. I use Xara Designer Pro x11 (a vector drawing program) for all my map work.

Roll20 allows you to upload 70 dpi maps up to 72 x 72 inches in dimension, in JPG format only. (Just compress the JPG to get it smaller, though it is lossy).
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-29-2016 at 03:04 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    While I certainly do use vector only (with bitmap texture fills), Roll20 only allows JPG files at 70 dpi for maps and JPG is not vector. So even if you create your maps with vector like myself, you cannot upload a vector file to Roll20, so your argument has no legs. You have to export your vector files to JPG format, thus converting it to bitmap format. I've been creating vector graphics files (not just maps) since 1989, I know what I'm talking about. And for those that know me here, I am a professional map illustrator for many tabletop publishers (as well as being a small game publisher myself), and have been for nearly 9 years. I use Xara Designer Pro x11 (a vector drawing program) for all my map work.

Roll20 allows you to upload 70 dpi maps up to 72 x 72 inches in dimension, in JPG format only. (Just compress the JPG to get it smaller, though it is lossy).
    Oh good point! Didn't even occur to me about the file type limits, so yes ultimately a moot question as JPG is what I should plan on using.

Bogie- regarding the size limits, I appreciate the input. I applied a grid to the image so I knew the grid spacing and such, but did the math to ensure my map was large enough to fit my design, which is where the 4000 x 4000 dimensions came into play. The typo of my first statement is that the image was 4200 x 4200, thus giving me 60 units in roll20. I'm trying to impart a kind of realistic/practical scaling to my map (multiple floors in a tower style dungeon crawl) so want to proportion the area appropriately; thus the large map.

Appreciate the input folks!
    Q

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Mike beat me to the point about Vectors.
    I do my Maps at 72 DPI for VTTs. 24x36 Layout

For Vtt Maps I make separate visuals for each level

For Print maps I do a 24x36 Layout with separate floors also

Format is PNG
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]