Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Heart of Shadow' cavern encounter map

Default 'Heart of Shadow' cavern encounter map

I am doing an encounter map for Myrhdraak's Prince of the Undead Conversion (here wizards.com). The map is for encounter G16: The Heart of Shadow of the P3 conversion, a sinister underground place in the Shadowfell.

The brief: 'My thinking so far is a cavern with different "platform levels", each one with a blood shadow pool where the "water" runs down the platforms in a number of waterfalls to meet in the central pool at the bottom. Rough staircases have been cut out from the stone platforms to allow access between the platforms. As the players arrive, they will be divided and appear randomly from different pools in the area. Isilus with his False Keepers will try to prevent the adventurers from reaching the central pool. The shadow slime moves "invisibly" under water to attack the adventurers. Isilus can also move the Living Walls hazard by sacrificing one attack.' There are living walls, blood pools, different ground levels and stone staircases on the map. Here's the sketch by Myrhdraak.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heart of Shadow sketch.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	50013

EDIT: First WIP - just trying out some concrete textures for the feel and colour. I am going to try and stick with the original sketch's colour scheme.

Name:	Heart of Shadow.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	50014
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 11-17-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Looks interesting!

Finalised the wall and floor textures and tried to work on the complicated multi-level contours - not sure how successful I've been.

Views:	346 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	50018

Looks good. I like how you have worked with the shadows to add depths to the cave.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

It looks great. It's probably not the easiest task, but it looks nice.

Maybe you could put some objects on there to give a sense of scale? And make the deeper ones a bit smaller so that to give an impression of distance?

Not a bad idea Simon. I think the steps will help to give a sense of scale. I've started these now, and added some rough bridges. I don't think the map will really come together until I have done the blood streams gushing down the slopes - I've no idea how I am going to do this but I still have a fair amount of shading to do on the steps and sloping rock first anyway.

Views:	278 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	50036

Do not make too many bridges. As I want to have some negative effects by passing through the water (no healing in the water), as well as the shadow slime creeping around in the water. It is more challenging with only brigdes for reaching the central blood pool from one entry, not all the entry options.

The steps do help give a sense of depth.

Steps completed, slopes completed (?) and bridges removed. Next up -the rivers of blood!

Views:	541 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	50046

This is awesome...love the steps and cliff.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast