Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings and はじめまして

Quote Originally Posted by Thorf View Post
    Hello!
    どうぞよろしくお願いします。
    こんにちは。 こちらこそ。 Welcome to the Guild, Thorf. My Japanese is limited since I am still learning (勉強中です). (^_^)/
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thorf's Avatar

Thanks for all the nice welcome messages!

Quote Originally Posted by SeerBlue View Post
    Welcome to the Guild, Thorf, and I envy you greatly, I spent 3 years in Misawa Japan,,,,a wonderful, scenic place, with amazing people.....South Dakota just isn't the same...... SeerBlue
    So you were at the American base in Misawa? Even though Akita is not so far from there, I have yet to take a proper trip up north to Aomori or Hokkaido. Someday...

But yes, the whole Tohoku area is quite beautiful. We just passed the magical week or two each year in which all the rice paddies are filled with water, and the whole land looks like a vast mirror - especially if you look down on it from a mountain. But the shoots are out now, and it's over until next year.

Living here has definitely been an experience for me, after growing up in the Orkney Islands, surrounded by farms.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    As the admin of this site, you scared the crap out of me with the oriental letters hehehe...I was soooo worried this was a spam attack...

Welcome to the guild!!!
    Oops! Sorry about that. It's nice that they show up correctly on so many computers these days, and I know people like the look of them, so I often post some Japanese in my introductory posts.

Quote Originally Posted by rpgmapmaker View Post
    Welcome to the guild!

I like the maps you have been making... nice, clean, and organized look and feel...

Your FAQ on fonts was a good read, thanks for sharing and again welcome.
    Thanks, Chris! My maps so far have almost all been in a very specific style (i.e. hex maps), but within that format I've been trying to improve them as much as I can. The next step would be adding some texture - perhaps a nice parchment background - and working out a better way to take extracts from the maps. (Basically you either have to cut or mask the hexes at the edge, or have angled edges to your map. I'm not entirely satisfied with what I've got so far.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Welcome, konichi wa. Akita gets cold! Samui desho.

I'm half Japanese, and have spent time in Yokosuka, Yokohama, Kyoto, Osaka and the Shimaneken district. My mother lived in Akita as a child sometime before the war, though she is actually from Shimaneken district on the western side of Honshu. I digress.

Welcome to the guild - let's see some maps!
    Yes, Akita is pretty cold in winter, although it doesn't usually go much below 0 (C). Conversely the summer is really hot and humid, and that's the part I find difficult.

It's amazing to find so many people with Japanese connections on this forum! Nice to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Welcome. You might be interested to know that there is a MeDem project running which is to create a DEM of Middle Earth at ridiculous resolution. The project has been going for several years and a lot of effort has been put into it. The main site for that is www.medem.org except that the site got hacked again so is down for a few days whilst it gets fixed and patched.

<snippety snip>

The attached pic is the land in 3D. The map so far is 10K pix square but thats just the starter map. The intnention is to get it to about 100K square. You can see the 'Mistys' Mountains running through the middle of which the links in the post are referring to.

So yeah, post anything you have right now and we can chat about ME more later.
    Wow, what am impressive project!! Am I right in thinking that in the long run your map could be used to generate views of various parts of Middle-earth? I've always thought it would be nice to have some photo-realistic (or almost realistic) pictures of Middle-earth. The movies provided a lot, but not enough to satisfy my voracious appetite.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. Thanks for letting me know!

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Welcome to the Guild Thorf! I hope to one day make it over to Japan. I actually work for a Japanese company, but unfortunately I'm an IT person so there isn't any reason for me to travel over there unlike the sales people who go over about every two months or so.
    I hope you make it over some day. It can be a real experience, especially if you haven't been to Asia before.

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    こんにちは。 こちらこそ。 Welcome to the Guild, Thorf. My Japanese is limited since I am still learning (勉強中です). (^_^)/
    日本語上手ですね! 何年勉強していますか? You seem to be doing pretty well already! がんばって下さい!
    Last edited by Thorf; 05-28-2008 at 01:15 AM.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thorf's Avatar

One more thing: is there an established way to show your maps here? Should I just start a thread and post some maps for comment, or perhaps use the album function?

Albums came about in the latest upgrade, so only a few people use them (and I'm not sure how to easily link to them).

If it is a work in progress, post it in the appropriate Mapmaking Discussion & Philosophy (WIP/Critique) forum. If it is a finished map you just wish to show off (but will probably get critique anyway ) post in the Gallery/Finished Map forum.

Either upload/link the images as attachments (to get the thumbnails), or figure out how to link to gallery images, and upload them there, then link (but I would suggest limiting the user galleries to finished maps).

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Thorf View Post
    日本語上手ですね! 何年勉強していますか? You seem to be doing pretty well already! がんばって下さい!
    ありがとうございます。I've been studying off & on for a year now. I'm lucky that I have a really good friend who lives in Hokkaido who helps me with my Japanese and I help her with her English (we do this on a weekly basis). I still have a long way to go before I am truly comfortable in Japanese. Thanks for the encouragement.

To get back on topic for these boards... I can't wait to see some of your maps.

じゃあね!
    Tim
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Welcome aboard Thorf!!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome, Thorf. I'm glad you popped on in & joined up. Hopefully we can help rekindle your mapping efforts and, in return, you can oompf some of us along on our ways too!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

We Meet Thorf I hope we can collaborate on the Mystara work, I always knew it by the Campaign Name Gazetteer but I have just about every single one of the Country Supplements, The Hollow Earth Box Set and two supplements to that, and both half's of the Giant Hex Map. I've always wanted to convert Gazetteer to 3.5 new D&D (even though I like 2nd AD&D the best). Like I said I hope we can collaborate.
    "The Enemy's Gate Is Down" - Ender Wiggen, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Software Used- ME v16, My Hands 1.0, My Brain

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Welcome to the guild Thorfinn, Everyone has pretty much said what has needed to be said .... so happy mapping and glad to have you here! ... POST THEM MAPS!!!

Blog Entries

Just a note to say that the medem site is back up again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12