Thread: CurlyPower's First Map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default CurlyPower's First Map

Hy everyone !

I'm a french fantasy fan. I just did this map for fun. I did not give any names for the different places and lands.
    It's a handmade map so don't be too hard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Numériser.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	50045

PS : Sorry for the picture quality.

That's very nicely drawn! That said, a few rivers meander too much before finding their way to the coast. I guess thats all the feedback I can provide!

Anyway, I hope to see more of your stuff in the future!

EDIT: This might be helpful: http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ght-place.html
    Last edited by gbsilverio; 11-18-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Thank you for your reply !

I know my rivers are a bit strange. I'm not really happy with it. I have to work on.

But thanks for the link ! I'm gonna read it carefully.

PS: Sorry if I do some spelling mistakes.

Welcome to the Guild, CurlyPower, and thank you for starting off with a map in your first post. That alone is worth a bit of rep. As for the map - don't apologise for it being hand drawn; it is really nicely done. Sure, you see more digital work here than manual, but that's because it's easier to hep pleasant results digitally, not because we don't appreciate hand-drawn work. Yes, you'll greatly improve the map's believability by tending to river placement, but all your other elements are very nicely done, ant the overall effect is pleasant. Even the overall wigglyness of each river is good, it is only the long-distance paths they chose that seem unlikely.

I particularly like your hills and mountains, as well as the conifer forests. Where they mingle it's a bit hard to distinguish between forest and mountain, but at least you are not falling into the trap of "all forests flat, all mountains bare" like many do. If you ever use this style then add color, there will be more clarity.

Oh, and your English is fine. :-). My French is mumble mumble decades rusty, so your bilingual fluency way beats mine!

Thanks !

I'm gonna start an other map. This one was just a first try.
    I will apply all your advices. It's really nice of you.
    I also think that I have to read the tutorials and help threads to better understand how to make a coherent map. And I definitly need to find some names of places !

PS : Could you tell me if I do big spelling mistakes to improve my language.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Praise

This is really very good. It has a very nice "feel" to it. It's like looking at a map that was made for a newly discovered land that no one has dropped names all over yet. I can see the stories in it and feel the adventure. Maybe there's a reason the rivers wander to and fro the way they do perhaps a ancient magic altered their path to better serve an equally ancient civilization that no longer inhabits these lands. Perhaps the gods themselves after creating this land drew new paths for their rivers so that the life they would create could survive. I really like this map and am looking forward to seeing more of your work. Have some rep.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Wow ! Thanks for your comment. Really nice of you ! Truly pleasent !

All your comments encourage me to continue map drawing.
    I have to improve my skills but I really would like to create my own world, with some continents, lands, countries, cities, towns, villages, hamlets.
    This project is really close to my heart. It would be hard and long but... Yeah I'm gonna start it soon I think.

But anyway, Thank you a lot !