Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WoodHaven

Guild Artisan

Default WoodHaven

Alright, Newbie here. 1st map. I got CC3 on Monday and went at it. Map Size got a little off. The bottom 1/3 was going to be for Text in some wood plank background I think, identifying the buildings. But I haven't quite got there yet.

Any thoughts and advice would be great.

Thanks

Edited to remove map, and post a new version further down.

PS-I have no idea what that thumbnail is doing down there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wood Haven.BMP 
Views:	1265 
Size:	827.4 KB 
ID:	50037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wood Haven.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	50038  
    Last edited by Kier; 11-20-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: thumbnail?

Welcome to the Guild! Nice first map. I like the layout and how the deeper woods are darker. When you are finished be sure you post a larger, higher resolution version so we can see all the cool details.

Guild Artisan

Thanks Bogie, for your thoughts.

Alright, I think I will consider this one done. Feeling pretty good for a 1st map, and only 8 days with CC3. Like the roads at the resolution I need, but in close I didnt quite pull them off 100%.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoodHaven.png 
Views:	233 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	50123

Not sure I have this saving down in viewable resolution or not.

The size and resolution look fine.

If the woods are hazardous enough to need a stockade around the village, I'd except to see the inside of the stockade a bit more crowded - more huts and buildings, and certain more gardens, fields or paddocks for animals - tuck pigsties in odd corners, and fence off the open areas for pastures/paddocks for the times when herd animals can't be left out overnight, perhaps? Once you're maintaining a perimeter wall, the protected real estate inside it becomes a lot more valuable!

Fields or gardens right outside the gate, where you could bolt for the cover of the gate if something unpleasant comes out of the woods.

I can't help but think those trees right against the outside of the stockade would get cut down as a safety risk.

Looks good, though, and I do like the trees and texture of the map.

man, you should see my first map with CC3...this is really great...one thing you could think about doing in the future is creating a few different sheets for your trees so that some have larger shadows than others and overlap each other a little more.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Artisan

Thanks, anomiecoalition.

Great thought on the different sheets for trees for shading. I still have a lot to learn in general, and particularly the whole sheet, and layer issue. Everytime I place a road or text I have a heck of time trying to delete it without deleting all the trees underneath it or similar. I assume it has something to do with the layers and sheets.

lol, I probably should read the manual at some point. Just couldnt stop trying force my way through it, only reading a little at a time.

Thanks again

Hey,
    It looks great. Welcome to the forum...!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Guild Artisan

Thanks Wirelizard, I think my previous reply got lost.

My first draft had too much of a stockade field to it, with trees cut back for firing range. So I modified it a little to go for the quaint feel, an outdated outpost if you will, no longer completely in the wilds but not yet safe enough to take down the walls. Going for 50-60 homesteaders, with a little overflow on a occasion.

You are right regarding fields and pens and such. I find it so hard to draw the line on the details. Too many and it gets cluttered, too little, not enough. I didnt want the fields to overtake the feel of the map, so choice to keep it a little vague and more muted going for the generic plowed land plot and 1 pasture plot.

Thanks for the input.

Great map Kier! I really like it and hope to see more from you.

Guild Artisan

Thanks Lyandra.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast