Thread: Original Campaign World (d20 compatible with Pathfinder rule set)

Guild Novice

Wip Original Campaign World (d20 compatible with Pathfinder rule set)

This is essentially the 2nd layout/design the world has gone through. I've been working on this campaign setting on and off for roughly 8-9 years. All the previous maps I have done for this have been hand drawn. I've only made one attempt to scan a map in many years ago and play with it in photoshop but that file has long since disappeared. If there is any interest I will attempt to scan some previous versions of the world, however my main focus will be its current incarnation. I will be attempting to use Adobe Illustrator CS2 for my digital modifications. I pretty much have next to no experience with Illustrator. My Adobe experience mainly lies with Pagemaker.

Anyway this is my intial scan stitched together in Illustrator. I had to break it into 6 different scans (and a couple re-scans to improve quality, mind you my scanner is probably as old as the campaign ;-P ) hence the ugly patchwork. This project took probably about 3-4 hours to get a good draft of where I want things to be (this includes making my own grid paper at work in excell... hehe). If you notice the faint grid lines, each section represents roughly 100 miles. Circumference at the equator is slightly greater than around the poles as is the Earth's. Total size of this world I would say is roughly between the size of Earth and Venus. So we set at a nice estimate of 12,200 miles around the equator and 5,900 miles from north pole to south pole. Forgive my heathen non-metric measurements ;-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Word Beta Layout - 1st.jpg 
Views:	941 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	50059

I think my first step with digital modifications will be to blend the 6 parts and redo some landmass outlines to make it look more like one piece of paper. Any initial thoughts, comments, constructive critiques are welcome.

P.S. As I progress with this project I will also give some details into the world itself if there is interest in my ramblings.

After post edit - I just noticed the section of the northwestern continent that got cut out. I'll get the hang of this scanning thing eventually.
    Last edited by StormCatalyst; 11-18-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Guild Novice

Name:	Word Beta Layout - 1st Outline.jpg 
Views:	650 
Size:	1,022.1 KB 
ID:	50092

So here is the outline layer to give you a crisper idea of the world. I plan on searching the tutorials for ideas on a problem I have, however I will post it here as well. I'm not sure how to duplicate the hand drawn look of the forests/jungles aside from a specialized texture... any ideas?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

I think you need to rethink your idea about projection... unless this is a fairly small area, the "100 Miles" will quickly become inaccurate. A distance representing 100 miles along the equator increases exponentially as it nears the poles.

Maybe make those lines lines of longitude and latitude; read up a bit on projections and look at the Equirectangular Projection.
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Guild Novice

Lalaithion, thanks for the reference. I was wondering how I would be able to rework the map taking that into account, it is an area of cartography that I lack any relevant experience in.

Guild Novice

Here is an updated version of the world map. At the moment I have not made adjustments with the projection (still reading up on the :how-to's"). This is a combination of work done initially in Illustrator 7 and then finished up in Gimp 2.0. I've been playing with the many custom brushes available across the net. Eventually I'll get around to learning how to make my own. One thing I am trying to figure out is how to modify colors, yet keep the parchment texture (mostly for bodies of water)... If anyone can direct me to a good tutorial that be sweet.

Name:	Word Beta Gimp Transfer.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	718.8 KB 
ID:	50563

Guild Novice

Greetings all!

Over the past few months I have been familiarizing myself with climateology, plate techtonics, global winds, and ocean current systems in order to revamp my maps into something more pleasing to myself as well as being a reasonably plausible world. The overall world size has shrunk to roughly 1.5x the size of Earth. The world map has been scratched untill I find time to go thru the projection process. Instead I have focused on two of the major continents as regional maps and a smaller regional map of the Ossiryion City States, in which my Pathfinder campaign will take place.

I will be posting a series of progression to bring you up to where I am currently. This will include some experimentations with different styles.

The Karthian Continent + The Northern Wastes

Name:	Eastern Daseryn Hemisphere.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	66390

The Ardenian Continent + The Norbien Continent

Name:	SouthWestern Hemispheres.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	599.7 KB 
ID:	66391

Guild Novice

The Ossiryion City States

*** #2 Pencil ***

Name:	Pencil-OssiryionCS.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	66393

*** Ink and Colored Pencils (A few areas still need coloring. Will update when finished) ***

Name:	Ink&ColorPencil-OssiryionCS.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	4.41 MB 
ID:	66394