Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dwarven Monastery

Wip Dwarven Monastery

I am currently working on this ancient dwarven monastery as a dungeon for my AD&D 2nd campaign. The players will enter via the stairs in the upper left corner. So far it includes a forge, a cistern (for quench water), a dining room, a kitchen, a mushroom farm, a brewery, a chapel, a library, a room for melee practice and living quarters. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any tips, hints and comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battlemap.png 
Views:	523 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	49256  

Love the old school look and feel. That (IMO) is how dungeon maps should look!
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Looks neat! what are you working in? That'll make it easier to give the tips & hints you want!

I'm currently working with GIMP. But I think I will redo the map in Inkscape to make use of clones for symbol.

Looks pretty cool and complete... maybe a barber to keep them beards neat and tidy... cheers, dj

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No self respecting Dwarven monastery would be without a hidden portal to the underdark to battle their most hated enemy the Drow This is really great very "old school" and very cool
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Very nice old-school map. Just as a personal design preference, I like to try to add multiple entrances to dungeons (and to different dungeon levels), as well as plenty of "loops" within any given level of a dungeon to make the dungeon less linear. I recommend having a look at Justin Alexander's series of posts on JAQUAYING THE DUNGEON, there is some really great dungeon design theory to be had there.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

@Djekspek: Cutting beards? That's heresy!

I converted the map from raster to vector and added labels. The second map is the lower crypt level complete with fake grave and secret room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battlemap.png 
Views:	849 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	49265

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battlemap_2.png 
Views:	412 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	49266

PS @Arsheesh: Excellent series of essays!
    Last edited by agroschim; 10-22-2012 at 07:51 PM.

euh ... I meant for the females, they want their beards nice with beads and stuff dont they?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Djekspek View Post
    euh ... I meant for the females, they want their beards nice with beads and stuff dont they?
    Have you ever seen a Dwarven females beard? They are worse then the males....
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast