The goal of the style was to try and match the "World Map" I have going in the Regional section, which was to make it look like a hand drawn and illuminated image.

ThronePort.jpg

Now, I think I'm going to end up reworking most, if not all of this city. The brown area is open land, the white is 'buildings'. Heavy black lines are the main walls and towers/wall keeps, and the red lines are the main streets/markets.

The Geology I see behind the city is a large river flowing down to what was a very slight ridge of harder stone trust up across the path the river would eventually take. It built up a basin behind the ridge, and eventually cut a few channels through it to the open sea. (This gives the barrier islands at the mouth of the bay, but not in their current form)

The founding of the city was with a fortified point, defended with moats dug from the slightly marshy area which originally served as drainage channels for the fields around the hill of the settlement the city grew out of (The walled area in the middle of the left hand side.)

After founding, the first expansion was to provide a walled area protected by the two rivers (the minor river to the north, and the larger main river to the north east/east), the existing drainage canal and city walls to the west, and the bay itself to the south.

Eventually several small forts were bulit on the islands in the bay, and small villages formed on them. The town grew out to the west/north west of the starting city, eventually being walled in at the same time causeways were built across the shallower parts of the bay openings, and walls were put up on the sea side of the shield islands. As more wealth came to the city, the older portions were swallowed up by the working class, and a larger, more planned and grander city was built on the eastern bank of the bay. The waterfront is a poorer warehouse/ poor working class district, the area inside the circled roadway is the upper middle class and wealthy district, and the parts next to the walls are the more lower middle class.

The river island is mostly wealthy housing, with a few servant quarters. The north bay island is the new Royal island, housing the King's main castle, and most of the wealthy lords. The South Bay island is for lesser nobles and wealthy merchant elite.

The Eastern Shield Island is a poor district, while the eastern part of the west island is another higher class area, and the rest of that island is mostly lower class, or professional soldiers.

The outlying areas are mostly poorer slums, and businesses that can't afford taxes inside the walls.

Thoughts and comments? Issues you see with the map? For the issue of the current around the opening, the causeways were made as a a series of small islands from dredging, as well as arched sections, basically a low bridge that water can still flow under.

I'm not sure if I really like the style, or even the layout of the city, I basically layed out a few hills on the generated landscape, and put a small village down on a hill, and kept expanding it out in rough sketches, and this was what came of it.