Thread: Free to use map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Free to use map

HI, all.

New to the forums.

A friend of mine is working on a story, and, since I am decent n Photoshop, he asked me to make a realistic looking map. I had never made such a map, so, of course, I searched for tips, and got many from this place.

After a while, he decided the map needed to be shaped different, and he now wants a parchment look to it. So I am currently working on that. But I had finished up the realistic map, which is now just sitting on my computer, doing me no good.

So, I am going to post it here, free to a good home, just credit me if you publish it in anything (not that it is necessarily good enough for that... ). Also, I am looking for constructive criticism on it. It is my first map, so I know it may not be top notch, so feel free to verbally tear it apart if it deserves it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	50222

The black box is covering the name of my friend's world.

When I have his current map completed, I will post that one as well.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Guild Shawn. Nice first map. I do mostly battlemaps so I can't really help, but I'm sure the members who do this kind of map will have some tips for you.

One way to go is to add more detals to the ground as currently you have more detailed mountain and forest textures than what your ground is. Attached is a quick modification I did to demonstrate what I mean. In addition you could try to use lighter outlines in your river, seashore and mountain. Use different layer for mountains, ground, forest etc. This way you can tweak them (colors etc) without affecting others.

These are just few ways to go and some of them might not fit into your plans of how it should look. Happy experimenting...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	50226  

That looks awesome!

And originally, it was each mountain, each forest and the land with it's own layer. I may still have that.

Can we post PSD's on here? If so, I would love to put that out there.

EDIT: I am uploading the PSD to filehosting.org. I will post the link below, as soon as it is ready.
    Last edited by Shawn Doyle; 11-25-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Additional information added

Here is the PSD file: Free Map PSD

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Looks awesome. The big central gulf looks like a perfect setting for some sort of pirate conflict. Also, the lake up in the woods would make a nice mysterious, secluded locale. I don't know what kind of map you're going for, but this one has lots of potential. If you have time, check out my map at Dordavia. I'm quite new here, and would like some feedback please. Thank you!