Thread: hand drawn keep help

Wip hand drawn keep help

I’ve been fooling around with this keep, but I’m not really happy with the outcome. I think the inner courtyard is a waste of space but I like the open feel it would give to the keep. I’ve been googling castle plans but most don’t tell what the individual spaces are, if you have a good historical layout you are aware off, please post a link. This keep will eventually have a completed inner and outer bailey as well as more grounds buildings, say a lime kiln, more refined stables, barracks and manor house. Until I work out the glitches I’m ignoring these items. This will also have two additional floors and a cellar, the lord always needs his wine LOL. Well have a go at it and tell me what ya think will improve this layout. Thanks V \

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dun jenell keep.jpg 
Views:	859 
Size:	698.2 KB 
ID:	50227

Hi Vellum, I think this looks great. As you probably saw, in the last short while jtougas, commander-freddy and I all started in keep/castle maps. If you check out jtougas' thread in particular there was discussion of keep layouts. From the looks of things however you don't appear to need any help at all - your layout looks excellent and I can't wait to see this map develop.

Thanks JT, I did find a couple of castles with spaces ID'd, Harleck Castle had a nice drawing that has given me some good ideas for space requirements. I may actually have to see if I can develope this further in illustrator (well first I have to learn illustrator LOL) and get a real digital work completed.