Thread: Composite?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Owen Borseth's Avatar

Question Composite?

Hello. This is awesome. Is there a high resolution composite map of the world as it stands to date? If not, I'd be happy to make one if I can get all the pieces that need to be put together.

Hii I am not expert but I admire other who are able to do this. If you do that then please share it here.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Blog Entries

There is one that I keep locally and I would give out to anyone who wants it in ViewingDale format but there isn't one specifically published as an image on the site since it keeps changing from updates to it but I have made the current composite map as it stands which you can find in the main thread about the tile indexes. I can generate a fresh one for you but we have a limit of 5K pix for attachments. How big would you like the image to be ?

Also, there is "the world" where there was a 5K or so map of it posted somewhere and also there is Ansium, the region within the world, which has been tiled into 30 something tiles and each of them are mapped. So are you after the world in high res or Ansium region in high res ?

I'll see if I can post the links to the composite as it stands here which is about a 2K image of Ansium.

Last edited by Redrobes; 11-27-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Wow, I thought we had a bigger one somewhere. Did we ever or am I just trippin?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

I can upload one any size you like up to about 15K across. What would you like ? I thought tho that if that thread about making a google API based zoom map with tiles works out then I could run it through that.

Oh I don't know, I was just thinking I wanted to read some of the labels and look at things a bit closer. I thought we had at some point a version that let you dig way down in there but maybe that was just you running your application ViewingDale and showing off one area. I know some of the cities are mapped as well but they don't show there.

The google api would be cool I think.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Yeah I did this vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qELcbKXdRm8

All the cities that I know of and I am aware of are in that map but many of them are small due to the scale of the maps. Each tile is notionally / approximately 400 mi across so at the screen res of 1500 and with 6 tiles across thats 1px per mile or so. So you wont see much until you zoom in. Even at 15K pix across that means a mile is 10 pix so no city is going to show up in any kind of detail. You need a zoom browser with a very large scaling set of tiles rendered to see any detail like that - more than I think anyone but the likes of google themselves would want to have a data center to run the tiles out of. This is the reason I dont think a web based / tile based zoom solution is the right one. That and you cant edit it without a full tile set re-render.