Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Blank Globe

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    I think your best bet will be buying a standard earth globe and just repainting it carefully. Maybe carefully sanding and apply a layer of paper over it before painting could be needed.
    the size I want cost more than 600$!!!

http://www.1worldglobes.com/giantglobes.htm

Thanks RobA, nice finding!

I also found plexiglass balls, at more affordable price, but not larger than 60 cm:
    http://www.marecoluce.it/prodotti/Forme.htm

Prices

But I can't understand if "QUASAR GRIGIO 600 MM" is spherical or not.... It's in the list, but not on the site?!?
    It costs just 33 euros... Would be cool!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Or paper mache over the said beach ball....that ought to work. Heh, you could even scuplt the mountain ranges and make it 3d!
    I didn't think abput it!
    It would be very cheap!
    But would it be smooth enough?
    And how could I get it more rigid once finished? Any suitable special paint for modelers...?

Guild Journeyer

They don't sell cheap cardboard globes anymore? They're two high density paper product hemispheres held together,... I'm sure you could find something like that for sale somewhere, I remember having 14 inch one at one point, complete with textured surface. But I guess maybe such things have fallen out of production in favor for digital versions?

They don't sell cheap cardboard globes anymore? They're two high density paper product hemispheres held together,... I'm sure you could find something like that for sale somewhere, I remember having 14 inch one at one point, complete with textured surface. But I guess maybe such things have fallen out of production in favor for digital versions?
    I don't want a globe smaller than 20 inches!

I just found some strange materials paper-mache-like...
    http://www.save-on-crafts.com/celpapmacrig.html

Guild Journeyer

Sorry, you had said something about 40cm before, and that is closer to 14 inches than 20.

You could always do the math and cut out rings from cardboard, and stack them in a rough sphere, then put a few layers of paper over them. This would likely yield a ball stronger than a lot of options you could come up with.

http://www.plasteelcorp.com/foamshap...m/10073-1.html

That's the cheapest craft sphere over 20" I can find.

Sorry, you had said something about 40cm before, and that is closer to 14 inches than 20.
    That was before finding out that plastic sphere 50 cm large do exist! :-)

You could always do the math and cut out rings from cardboard, and stack them in a rough sphere, then put a few layers of paper over them. This would likely yield a ball stronger than a lot of options you could come up with.
    Yes, I also thought about this; it would be a VERY heavy ball!
    Styrofoam would be better... if it wasn't that hard to cut it in circular shape!

Quote Originally Posted by CBDroege View Post
    http://www.plasteelcorp.com/foamshap...m/10073-1.html

That's the cheapest craft sphere over 20" I can find.
    48 Dollars rather than 114 for a 60 cm sphere???
    Great finding,thanks!
    I hope they send to italy.....
    I'll check.

edit:
    they also have a 30" one at 69$ !!!
    But I think it's even bigger than I need.... 75cm.... mmmh...
    Last edited by jumpjack; 02-07-2009 at 06:40 AM.

Guild Journeyer

The problem with those is that shipping is going to be hellish at best.

If you have a good steady hand, and a large table you can use for a work space, then making a stacked cardboard globe is likely going to be your cheapest way of getting a good, strong globe. Get some corrugated cardboard, do the math for the size you want and start cutting out large circles that you can stack together. Save weight and material by then cutting smaller circles out of the middle of your larger ones, but leave a solid sheet every now and then. (Space them 4-5 inches should be fine) Make each circle say, and inch and a half, two inches wide. How many layers you use, and how much difference in diameter there is between each one depends on the thickness of your cardboard.

Save time and cut two layers at once, one for either hemisphere.

Good luck with your project, I'm thinking I might have to do this myself to get a better idea of my novel world. It would be easier than working on 3D models for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpjack
    48 Dollars rather than 114 for a 60 cm sphere???
    Great finding,thanks!
    I hope they send to italy.....
    I'll check.
    They don't send to italy... becuse they say the big ball is too fragile and it will break apart.
    ...so I told them I don't care if it breaks, I'll just... build the puzzle , as styrofoam pieces can be easily stitched together, without leaving any junction visible.
    And even if they are visible, I'm going to cover the ball with paper, so who cares?
    The replied they'll think about it...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast