Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Blank Globe

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

Post A Blank Globe

You know what I have had the hardest time finding, Blank Globes. I mean like a white globe you can write on and make a stand for. Does anyone know anybody who makes them?
    "The Enemy's Gate Is Down" - Ender Wiggen, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Software Used- ME v16, My Hands 1.0, My Brain

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

I did a search of Google but did not find any for sale... that where "blank"

I suggest making your own by drawing on a "template"... this was how it was first done so it may be the best way for you to make yours...

http://www.gma.org/surfing/imaging/globe.html

-Chris
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

Yeah but now I would have to find a ball that works well. I was just thinking that a blank globe would be a great resource for cartographers and was wondering if anybody knew anybody that did them, thanx for the info on making a needle map though, I'll have to maybe post some of my experimentation into them.

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkeeper View Post
    Yeah but now I would have to find a ball that works well.
    The last time I saw a blank globe for sale it was more expensive than a pre-printed one ($90, I think it was). I figured it was due to low demand and therefore, low sales volume.

You can often get used globes at thrift stores and the like for $5-$20, often with a stand. A few coats of flat paint gives you a nice blank globe. The surfaces can be a bit iffy to start so using a coat or two of papier-mache can make a big difference when you're setting out to draw. Sanding and a paint layer are important, as it turns out.

If you're into crafts, you can start with a thrift-store globe, split it, spray the insides with a nice waterproof release and use it as a form to make your own. It's a pain to do, though, and I wouldn't recommend it.

If you have a local Wal-Mart or similar engine of destruction they often carry 8" styrofoam balls for around $8 which can be converted to a workable writing surface by the addition of some papier-mache (two layers of newsprint, one layer of newsprint+plaster - the plaster can give you built-in mountains until you sand it!).

You can also start with a dodecahedron (20-sided die) made out of whatever material you'd like. See http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/icos.jpg for an image that might be useful as a starting point.
    Last edited by waldronate; 05-30-2008 at 12:33 AM.

wow thanx man.

Here is a tip for makning your own dry erase boards... might work on a thrift store globe. (These are really cheap as country borders change...)

I'm a teacher and have been trying to convert old classroom chalk boards to dry-erase. I've tried epoxy spray paint, Krylon, and many other types of paint. I found that the best thing to do is to use oil-based/HIGH GLOSS paint to resurface the board. Essentially, the HIGH-GLOSS paint has very little porosity and does not allow the surface to be penetrated by minor solvents such as Dry-Erase Markers. I would use the following steps for converting a chalkboard to a dry-erase board...

1. Prepare the surface with 400-Grade Sandpaper (you can use a lower number, but the surface will become increasingly coarse)

2. Thoroughly dust the surface WITHOUT water (water will make any imperfections swell up, and you will have to wait for the board to dry [about 24-hrs] and re-sand the area)

3. Apply a quality oil-based primer to the surface with a spray gun or a roller (allow full drying time as stated on paint can instructions).

4. Apply two coats of the HIGH-GLOSS paint with a spray gun or roller and make sure to follow the reapplication instructions.

5. Be patient. You need to give the paint about 2 weeks for the chemicals to bond well enough. It seems like a lot of work, but it's actually quite cheap compared to a real dry-erase board.
    -Rob A>

Guild Journeyer

I can give you a much easier method for a dry erase board. Go to the local Lowe's/Home Depot/DIY store and buy a sheet of "Tile Board". It's used to make cheap showers and bath enclosures. Thus it is white, waterproof and most of all cheap. I bought a 4ft x 8ft sheet last year for less than $10. I glued some flattened tin siding to the back and presto instant mangentic whiteboard for under $20 and an afternoon's work.

I'm currently working on using "line tape" which is similar to pinstriping tape to mark off a grid. I just can't seem to find it in a light gray to avoid it contrasting too much.

Here is the cheapest way to get a globe.

Go to an Arts & Craft's store, and by a styrofoam ball. They come in all sorts of sizes. And they are CHEAP, like maybe a buck or so.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Unfortunately styrofoam is an impossible surface to write on.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkeeper View Post
    Unfortunately styrofoam is an impossible surface to write on.
    True, but it can be coated with something that isn't, like paint
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast